Repairing a split in an AMG Gen 2 W201 Rear Bumper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob77

MB Enthusiast
Car
1990 W201 2.6 Sportline; 2011 S204 C350 CDI Sport; 1978 Foale/Suzuki GS750; 1994 Aprilia Pegaso 650
I sustained some damage to my bumper yesterday, as I explained in another post.

The bumper is some kind of plastic and the damage is a crack or split.

I'm thinking the split will need to be glued and the reverse side strengthened with matting. The main surface would then be filled and painted to match.

it's been suggested they use a a 2-part epoxy system with fibre matting (same process they used on the 8-series episode in Wheeler Dealers) .

Does anyone have any more experience of this or pointers I should give the garage?

I understand they will be starting on Monday.

When I was building R/C model aircraft years ago I used to skin the foam/balsa wings with self levelling resin and fine glass fibre cloth - it's much finer than the stuff I've seen for cars etc, might be an idea for your repair.

I've seen plenty of the two part epoxys for sale and I'm sure I can rely on the body guy to pick a decent one. But what kind of matting is best?

We're not talking about glass matting, to create a fibreglass repair are we? Is there a better matting that works well with the plastic and epoxy or am I overthinking this?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It usually comes as part of the repair kit. It's far heavier and more open weave than fibreglass matting, more like a mesh.

The stuff I've used in the past came from a company called Wayside Adhesives.

Sadly adhesives are not enough, with the bumper off, drill holes either side of the split, open it up slightly and apply resin, quickly "sew" the sides together with zip ties keeping the joined edges tidy, when cured, lay matting across the back, about 3 layers, each one bigger than the last, by an inch all round, and well stippled into the shape, this makes a strong repair when each layer has cured, now you can address cleaning up the front face, dressing off the zip ties, filling and sanding etc. Worth looking on youtube. Done it, got the T shirt.

That's an excellent idea, providing the bumper is thick enough, being a Merc it probably is. try not to countersink more than a third.

That's an excellent idea, providing the bumper is thick enough, being a Merc it probably is. try not to countersink more than a third.

it's pretty thick!

Just to close this one out, the body man plastic welded the crack. After painting, it looks great.

Just to close this one out, the body man plastic welded the crack. After painting, it looks great.
Hey Rob77 I was wondering, do you still have you gen1 amg front bumper? If so would you be interested in selling it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom