Repairing or replacing swimming pool liners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
This forum never ceases to amaze me, so fingers crossed...

We returned from holiday yesterday to find out that when our Greyhound fell into my in-laws swimming pool just before our holiday, she managed to slice through the vinyl lining.

We store our caravan at the in-laws, and whilst we we washing it ready for our holidays, she managed to escape from the front garden, and somehow got into the garden where the pool is.

Fortunately my Father-in-Law heard her fall in, and was able to fish her out quickly. The pool was covered at the time and so it could have been a very different story - fortunately she was fine, and not the least bit shook up.

The water has been leaking for a few weeks now and has started to wash away the sand which is beneath the lining; slightly subsided and almost empty it's looking very sorry for itself.

I need to check to see if OUR household insurance will cover the repair/replacement of THEIR pool with some kind of indemnity cover, but there's a good chance I might have to pay.

My Father-in-Law has been Googling and it seems repairs to side walls can be done, but it's best get a new liner if it on the base (close to).

Anyone got any experience of selling, installing, or repairing this type of swimming pool, who can offer some advice or point us towards a good deal should we need a replacement?

I would think it's possible to apply a heat-sealed patch. Speak to an installer of this type of pool (which are not the best design)

Best pool contractor I have come across is Advanced Pools (in Gloucestershire I think). Run by a chap called Rob Perry and very good. Will look up last set of contact details I had for him and PM to you.

Sean

This forum never ceases to amaze me, so fingers crossed...

We returned from holiday yesterday to find out that when our Greyhound fell into my in-laws swimming pool just before our holiday, she managed to slice through the vinyl lining.

We store our caravan at the in-laws, and whilst we we washing it ready for our holidays, she managed to escape from the front garden, and somehow got into the garden where the pool is.

Fortunately my Father-in-Law heard her fall in, and was able to fish her out quickly. The pool was covered at the time and so it could have been a very different story - fortunately she was fine, and not the least bit shook up.

The water has been leaking for a few weeks now and has started to wash away the sand which is beneath the lining; slightly subsided and almost empty it's looking very sorry for itself.

I need to check to see if OUR household insurance will cover the repair/replacement of THEIR pool with some kind of indemnity cover, but there's a good chance I might have to pay.

My Father-in-Law has been Googling and it seems repairs to side walls can be done, but it's best get a new liner if it on the base (close to).

Anyone got any experience of selling, installing, or repairing this type of swimming pool, who can offer some advice or point us towards a good deal should we need a replacement?

Sounds expensive!:eek: You still love your dog??;)

Could you use the same some of patches that Dingys use?

eBay - PVC MATERIAL PATCH FOR INFLATABLE DINGHY RIB REPAIR, Similar items search

I will see what we have at home as with our garden pond the previous owners left all sorts of bottles of liquid seal and waterproofing stuff.

If you can get some rubber behind it and in front I see no reason why you cannot peform a 'patch'

Suppose it will depend on how old the damaged liner is.

Can be repaired but just like cars they all have a finite life.

Suppose it will depend on how old the damaged liner is.

Can be repaired but just like cars they all have a finite life.

It's 10 years old now.

If you haven't already, you need to drain the pool to get the water below the level of the tear. That way you will prevent the escaping water eroding the subsoil any more than it has already.

FIL pumped much of it out. His is probably the only lawn in the UK which is no longer feeling the ill effects of an exceptionally dry April!!

It's 10 years old now.

In general 15-20 year life expected depending on type and quality of material used, degree of UV exposure, how often drained, etc etc. If it is a difficult or uncertain repair might want to consider a new one.

I had an outdoor swimming pool in my back garden and through age, the lining split along where the lining is fixed to the edge of the pool via plastic snap-on rim. After receiving an estimate of £5,000 to replace the liner etc, I decided to get rid of it but not before I went through the what-if processes of doing-it-myself repair.

There are some adhesives on the market which set under water which may be used to fix patches but personally for a long term repair, I would rather undertake a dry fix.

Your comment that some of the sand under the liner has washed away is of a concern and will be a problem to you whatever repair you do. I suggest that the sand should be replaced before any liner work is carried out and unfortunately for me that would mean a new liner.

For your information my pool took 50,000 gallons of water and was 2 metres deep so you see it was not a repair job for the feint hearted.

Good Luck in whatever your decision is.

Hi Rob

Do they not have insurance for this sort of thing ?

Doubt your insurance will stand it to be honest.

Hi Rob

Do they not have insurance for this sort of thing ?

Doubt your insurance will stand it to be honest.

H

I guess their house insurance would cover it, if mine doesn't. I think they're like me, I really don't like having to claim, but I think it might be a case of doing so if a new liner is required.

FIL did suggest filling it in as it doesn't get used much, but with 5 grandchildren who'll be loving it in a year or two, it probably makes sense to keep it.

H

I guess their house insurance would cover it, if mine doesn't. I think they're like me, I really don't like having to claim, but I think it might be a case of doing so if a new liner is required.

FIL did suggest filling it in as it doesn't get used much, but with 5 grandchildren who'll be loving it in a year or two, it probably makes sense to keep it.

Bit late now, but take it as a warning shot. A fence might not be a bad idea if young children will be about.

I have tried a product called Vyna Bond which claims that it will attach patches, and at a push can be used underwater. It did not work for me - but to be fair I was using it to repair a pool cover which is under quite a lot of tension.

It would be worth a go before writing off the liner.

Contact a lorry trailer curtain-sider repair business. They use vinyl patches welded onto curtain-sides.

Bit late now, but take it as a warning shot. A fence might not be a bad idea if young children will be about.

A good call. It's in a separate garden from what the outlaws use for sitting in, playing, etc but you can't be too safe. It makes me nervous if we're sat near the pool just in case we're looking the other way, etc.

Curtain sided truck repairer is a great idea.

I'll be at the outlaw's tomorrow - sadly we'll not swimming now it's empty :( - so we'll take a look at this thread together.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom