Repairing Rust W202 Mercedes-Benz C200 Azzurite Blue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnnyW202

Car
2004 Mercedes E270CDI Elegance Saloon, 2004 C200 Kompressor Estate Avantgarde SE Sport Pack
IMAG0222.jpg
Should of done a before and after, but this is the wing once it'd be ground back, filled and painted, it looks alot better than it did... not quite perfect but a wet sand and it should look even better.

IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

Luckily I removed the bodykit on the driver side and found the back sill starting to rot, so I ground this back and treated this with kurust and jenolite.

IMAG0226.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg

All the doors have rust in the bottom corners, the passenger side front door has a large rust bubble in it.

IMAG0230.jpg

And finally I just changed the oil and cleaned the rocker cover and rubber air tubing out, yet there is still oil leaking from around the breather and oil cap, just a drip but still it's messing up the top of the rocker box.

Should of done a before and after, but this is the wing once it'd be ground back, filled and painted, it looks alot better than it did... not quite perfect but a wet sand and it should look even better.

Luckily I removed the bodykit on the driver side and found the back sill starting to rot, so I ground this back and treated this with kurust and jenolite.

IMAG0226.jpg

All the doors have rust in the bottom corners, the passenger side front door has a large rust bubble in it.

And finally I just changed the oil and cleaned the rocker cover and rubber air tubing out, yet there is still oil leaking from around the breather and oil cap, just a drip but still it's messing up the top of the rocker box.

Be great to hear a bit of detail with regard to the process you went through - sanding grades, length of time you left the jenolite, time between primer and top coat, number of top coats etc...

Also is the pic above, a pic after you've treated with jenolite?

Thanks
R

No the pictures above, well the pictures of the sill below the door, were the pictures when the paint had been chiseled off with a large flat blade screwdriver and hammer, then ground down with a small metal grinder carefully, then finally a brushwire attachment on a drill, then jenolite which I leave for around about an hour, wash off with clean water, then krust which I leave for half an hour before blotting off and filling using POL-45 Mastic, I usually leave this about half an hour before sanding down with 80 Grit, 120 Wet and Dry, 320, 600 and finally 1200... I then use gray primer, giving it a good coating and leaving it about an hour to dry to a dull matt finish, before 1200 this over once again leaving to dry and applying paint. I'm using Holt Duplicolour and have tried the Double Acrylic Small 150ml Carcote cans both of which has given good coverage. I leave this for a few hours once I've got a good coating on the wing or affected area, that I'm sure won't rub through easily, the clear coat... with a good few layers leaving 10 mins between each coat. I then leave to harden overnight and use 3200grit wet and dry I bought from Ebay Meguiars kit actually to wet sand the clear coat flat... (Do not sand the metallic without a clear coat on) you'll end up with a dull finish without any shiny flakes!) I use a sanding block with the 3200grit, so that the coats are even and flat with eliminates any orange peel from the less than ideal spray cans. before finishing with rubbing compound, followed by ScratchX and Autoglym Super Resin.

Obviously any reaction marks in paintwork, dust under the clear coat etc has to be resanded down and prepared, but after some trial and error, I've got a good finish... oh and by the way those fingermarks are on dried paint! they'll just wash off.

you dont need to rub the primer down with to finer grade w/d 600 grit is a better key for the base coat and dont leave the base coat to long before over coating with clear coat too because it wont key to it 20 to 30 mins max time

you dont need to rub the primer down with to finer grade w/d 600 grit is a better key for the base coat and dont leave the base coat to long before over coating with clear coat too because it wont key to it 20 to 30 mins max time

Good advice - looking forward to hearing from you clive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom