Replace 1Tyre for S class - Continental conti sport 5 255/55r18

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shala, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Shala

Shala Active Member

Car:
    S350 CDI 2010
    Replace 1Tyre for S class - Continental conti sport 5 255/45r18

Hello there,
    I'm looking for the best price for a replacement tyre. At the moment they're all Continental Contact 5. They're from Mercedes to I take it they're runflats. I'm in Southampton so looking for the best price replacement... fitted if possible

I can see a few online for £118 like here

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-ty...XBaCNaVBBVA6yJe-nz2qsfaFQ_4-VUoIP8aAujY8P8HAQ

But don't know if thats the best/right one especially as it says SUV on it.

sorry its 255/45r18 103 Y XL

just went and checked

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  2. Piff

Piff MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian, A207 E250CDi Cabriolet Sport, R171 SLK280
    If it's for 1 tyre are you replacing because of damage to 1 tyre?
    I recently had front & rear nearside wheels refurbished due to kerb damage and needed to replace the tyres also as they had gouges in the side walls.
    The car had done about 20k miles so the offside tyres had about 4 or 5mm tread left,
    To match the tread depth I bought part worn tyres on ebay and had the refurbishing guys fit them.

3. TheFoX

TheFoX Active Member

Car:
    CLS 350 CDI Sport
    The tyre dealer I used to use when I lived near Southampton was Flinstone Tyres just outside of Park Gate (SO31 1FQ) on the A3051. Not sure if they are still competitive.

4. Pontoneer

Pontoneer Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '99 S320 W140 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    When I bought tyres a few months back I shopped around and , at that time , Halfords autocentre were the cheapest by some margin for a set of four new MO Contis for my SL .

I would comment that , unless you have suffered a puncture or similar , and the other tyre on that axle is very new , it is always best to replace tyres in pairs : having a significant difference in tread depth from one side to another can affect stability in wet weather and can be downright dangerous if braking hard in wet conditions .