Replace CLS Gear Knob

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

effbee584

Car
Jag XF 3.0S and 10 yr old Micra 1.2 auto with Air Con.
Just bought a replacement gear knob, thought it would be real easy to change.

I have searched both this and another forum, but nothing really clear.

The best I've seen is ............ ' Open the ashtray and grab the front of the trim and pull up. (there are two clips) Once the front is up, you can remove the trim by pulling it forward towards the front of the vehicle. You have to pull up with some force, but it will come up. ...........'

I guess that is the way to do it but mine will not budge, I suspect its a very tight fit left and right against the leather, a photo here ............

effbee584-albums-my-mercs-picture7013-img-1855.jpg

I have pulled up and rearwards from the front, there's very little grip but no movement at all.

I can get a plastic spodger thingy to prise away the leather, but not enough to release it from the surround.

effbee584-albums-my-mercs-picture7014-img-1859.jpg

Any tips welcome for DIY, or it will be a visit to my Indie.

Thanks for looking

Mercupgrades says...

"On the W219 CLS it is easier to leave the wood surround in place and pull up the metal surround of the actual gear lever, then you can reach through the hole and push the catches (you can feel one at each end of the front edge of the trim) whilst pulling the wood trim up from the front."

Haven't tried it myself though.

Is it an age thing where you suddenly find yourself in need of a new knob?

Here's the official way...

Gear-selector_zps1cda9119.jpg

Hope that helps!

Wow, really impressed with your info, will try tomorrow.
Just for the sake of solidarity, have a go yourself on yours.
I'll be back with results.

I will be in a week or two, but happy for you to be the guinea pig :)

I just did this tonight! The trick is to prise up the leather gear stick surround from the passenger side and use a tesco club card in the gap and slide it towards the front of the car. The leather surround will pop up with tiny bit of pulling. Once you have that off, press in the black catches that hold the wooden surround. It will pop up and you have to slide it forward before pulling up to clear the catches at the back.

Had to do this as my CD changer door got stuck when closing and made a horrible grinding sound :s it is out of the car and will take a look tomorrow...

Just finished, as advised above, only the leather surround needs to be removed, (easy when you know how) easiest method was the edge of cr card , just four clips hold it in.
effbee584-albums-my-mercs-picture7017-leather-boot-off.jpg

Easy to swap over gear knobs.
V pleased with result.
effbee584-albums-my-mercs-picture7016-new-knob.jpg

Thanks for guidance.

Well done.

Ironically, I'm looking to have less wood :)

Had a go with the credit card method and all I achieved was savaging the card on that viscious metal edge. What did work really simply was to pull the leather back from the right hand edge to expose the slots you can see on your pics, stick a trim tool in there and it levers out easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom