Replace Comand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrbottomend

Car
CLK 320 CDI Sport
Some time ago recall seeing info on best units to replace the C with...Know Pioneer have top of range acc to Comand UK I think, but believe also Kenwood and poss coupld of others too, though not Chinese unless proven good by reviews...ok know some of the brands made China but recog brand is what need

Am trying to seek bargain by hunting, so just any known Kenwood, Pioneer or other good models which can be adapted with a fitting kit. Would prefer to have sat nav built in as opposed to using via phone...save data I believe...

ANyhow, as always any help wanted, Told by Comand their solution is £700 non Sat and plus £1k with...am sure great but out of my league...have seen ex display kenwood for what seems good price..now need to check compatible and what kit needed to add ..

The android units are amazing vfm and are normally a direct replacement. I’ve fitted a few from Erisin who ship from the uk.

I looked at the Dynavin units but went for a pioneer AVIC 910DAB . Not cheap but the reviews claim it is one of the best out there for 2019. With the fitting kit and modules to get full functionality in the car it came to about £1150.00 without any fitting costs. I also used a bee sting antenna to give the GPS a better chance of holding the signal in the bigger cities. I did lose the CD changer in the glove box, but I rarely used it anyway.

The android units are amazing vfm and are normally a direct replacement. I’ve fitted a few from Erisin who ship from the uk.
Hi Ant, also thanks to Renault and Tricky....well a quandary as so much anti the Chinese products...one reviewed site has some 60 odd 1 stars...sorry, but when you say you have fitted is this your business? And if so what's their best unit and would you fit? If you are happy to stand behind this then may well take the risk as simply cannot go £1000 plus for the Pioneer.

Ca you confirm if has built in sat nav...much appreciate all the help! Hope some of my experiences will be of use to others.

They are basically an Android tablet in head unit form so all apps that work on android also work e.g. Google maps and Waze etc. You can also add DAB+, reversing cam, 4G etc.

Here is mine in the pre-facelift 203 and I have fitted one of the post facelift design for a friend.
These are pretty generic designs made in China and sold under various brands but the reseller does not manufacture them.
Just make sure you get the current best spec which is Android 8.0 with as a minimum 32gb ram with 4gb rom.

45554901721_36ff4221c7_z.jpg

45503615322_91751a4df3_z.jpg

44665444995_319fe2eac9_z.jpg

They are basically an Android tablet in head unit form so all apps that work on android also work e.g. Google maps and Waze etc. You can also add DAB+, reversing cam, 4G etc.

Thanks for all that and the pics...so just to be clear, you said had fitted a few...is that yours and your pals...any others...how long had yours? Seems often they need lots of tinkering to get working...well I may take the risk and get fitted properly which is obvs a big part of the game..

Have an eye on the Kenwood ex display unit have found but they want to know if I have fibre optic audio, and am not sure how to find out...unless someone here knows. If that doesn't work then I will prob go the android unit way...damn the limited budget but then if wasn't wouldn't be issue in first place i.e. might have a V8 of some description with a better bit of audio/nav kit already in.

Third one was in a B class. They don't 'need' a lot of tinkering but there is a lot of scope for personalisation.
The android units are direct replacements that fit exactly in the space without requiring a bezel and are supplied with cable looms to 'plug and play'.
There should be no problems unless you have the Bose or Harman Kardon system.

Third one was in a B class. They don't 'need' a lot of tinkering but there is a lot of scope for personalisation.
The android units are direct replacements that fit exactly in the space without requiring a bezel and are supplied with cable looms to 'plug and play'.
There should be no problems unless you have the Bose or Harman Kardon system.
Cheers for follow up! Yes, have to check the current set up via the VIN I guess...

Just found out the Kenwood wil be £80 fitting kit if not fibre optics and over £200 if so,,,so if latter def leaning towards your solution...if former then the diff worth going the Kenwood I think...

I have an Android unit in mine too, its a good unit, does what it says on the tin and is a lot better than the old out of date comand unit my car had BUT while it sounds good enough for most people (including me) the amps and tuners are not the best quality.

I've had some very good gear in my cars in the past up to and including competition level stuff, if you put sound quality over functionality you'll do better with a high quality head unit from an established manufacturer but I would also be expecting you to be changing out the standard speakers and amps for good ones (yes even the higher end optional gear is a bit pants compared to the aftermarket) if you are not tinkering with the speakers and amplifiers built into the car though i'd say a decent Andriod headunit is going to be good enough, I just wanted to point it out.

I have an Android unit in mine too, its a good unit, does what it says on the tin and is a lot better than the old out of date comand unit my car had BUT while it sounds good enough for most people (including me) the amps and tuners are not the best quality.

I've had some very good gear in my cars in the past up to and including competition level stuff, if you put sound quality over functionality you'll do better with a high quality head unit from an established manufacturer but I would also be expecting you to be changing out the standard speakers and amps for good ones (yes even the higher end optional gear is a bit pants compared to the aftermarket) if you are not tinkering with the speakers and amplifiers built into the car though i'd say a decent Andriod headunit is going to be good enough, I just wanted to point it out.
Much appreciate the thought. Imagine adding in an amp would not be too much cost/bother to boost if the unit/current system but underpowered. Giess can try if go that route and if speakers need changing could look into second hand set of something good maybe...Thanks again!!

Much appreciate the thought. Imagine adding in an amp would not be too much cost/bother to boost if the unit/current system but underpowered. Giess can try if go that route and if speakers need changing could look into second hand set of something good maybe...Thanks again!!

Not a lack of power, it's a lack of quality, but if you are thinking of second hand speakers you'll be fine with just a new headunit. :)

Pull it out and see if it has a fibre optic cable in the back?
Errr not my forte trim etc....and also how to know...sorry if seem ignoramus but will see if can get someone to look. Hoped might be standard known to the model at the time...guess could call Meredes...mind have just seen this and well, amd tempted as well, fuel mind...will ask thoughst on another thread/forum more appropriate!
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...n=at_cars&price-from=4500&page=3#about-seller
Saved Adverts

Still digging around on the issue of what to buy and fit...really seeking that elusive bargain on a Pioneer or maybe Kenwood...but still up for cheaper good value solution too...so...just saw this on Erisin and not very inspiring if they are one of better..

Erisin is rated "Bad" with 2.5 / 10 on Trustpilot

Still digging around on the issue of what to buy and fit...really seeking that elusive bargain on a Pioneer or maybe Kenwood...but still up for cheaper good value solution too...so...just saw this on Erisin and not very inspiring if they are one of better..

Erisin is rated "Bad" with 2.5 / 10 on Trustpilot

I have never seen a single similar experience mentioned on XDA or any MB forum.
If you do buy one then I would buy from their UK store on ebay using Paypal for protection.

I've fitted a [then] top spec Erisin head unit two years ago, and it had been faultless.
Everything works as intended, including steering wheel controls, three cameras (not dashcams, those are not connected to it), satnav, TorquePro (fun, but nowhere as useful as a stand-alone diagnostic unit, like iCarsoft MB V.2), etc.
The install was very simple, and I do have a "power sound" option - extra speakers and a subwoofer in the spare wheel, although luckily these are not on MOST (fibre optic network).
I recently added a CarPlay dongle to it - works great too.

41373242085_0a5e49970c_o.jpg

42032264384_81e9394d44_o.jpg

32084934827_d378d1b17e_o.jpg

47573438961_9dbb9064f6_o.jpg

As above - buy your HU from a UK-based supplier (the CarPlay dongle I ordered direct from AliExpress, was here in a week).

Excuse my ignorance but as these are android units, presumably you need a sim with a monthly data package for it to work? whats the monthly cost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom