Replace W168 speakers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adi-pa

Car
Merc A140 Avantgarde (2000)
Anyone knows how to change W168 speakers?
I believe there is a component solution on the front doors - 16.5cm speaker at the bottom & a tweeter at the top.
I guess I could simply just change to a coaxial speakers leaving the tweeter space empty?
I need some instruction on how I can replace the speakers. Any suggestion would be helpful.
Thanks

Coaxials aren't nearly as good as a decent 2 way component setup. Normally a high spec set of components will come with a crossover that you will have to bury in the door somewhere, which splits the sound between the 2.

FOCAL 165 V30 6-1/2" 320W MAX LIMITED EDITION COMPONENT STEREO SPEAKERS SYSTEM | eBay

Ive always liked Focals, but thats just my preference, I believe that the W168 uses a 6.5" cone if I'm not mistaken?

Hi there I was just reading through and I thought I would register to make a post.

I have done a speaker replacement on my bubble. I used a pioneer TS-A1604C component. I installed the cones directly into the stock speaker pod. They can be pried open with a screwdriver or butter knife there is a ring that is about 1 cm thick, then the stock driver and then the rest of the pod. Its all glued and the glue is not very strong. My Father-in-law is a private MB mechanic will a couple of wrecking A classes so I played around with their speaker pods before touching my car.

Once the pod was empty, I placed the new speaker in it and screwed it down and sealed it with silastic (a silcone based sealant sorry dont know if it is an Aussie brand name or not).

The tweeter that i use is smaller than the stock one so it pulled out from the door trim, put the new one in and used more silastic until it held.

I'm happy with the result there is a definite improvement in sound quality and i didn't have to import an aftermarket adapter pod from Europe.

I hope that helps you.

Replace W168 front speakers

So after 3 years I have decided to do the speaker upgrade after all.
I've got a component set and ready to do this.
To change the woofer I believe its simply removing the speaker grill, similar to this, I have got SAK-2007 adapter so that should make my life easy. If someone has pics/video that would help.

My problem is I can't find much info on how to change the tweeters on the front door. Is it a case of removing entire inner door panel to expose and replace, or it should be similar to the woofer grill, don't want to try it in case I break it.
Looking at the pics on ebay and aclassinfo it seems I will have to remove the door handle and then remove the entire casing (which also includes inner door release handle). Is this the case? Any risk doing this?
I guess I will have to use some sealant (as advised by jonah3142) as I cannot find any adapters for tweeters?
Another question - these component speakers came with crossover cable, do I have to use them as I'm simply replacing the woofer with another woofer and tweeter with another tweeter?

Cheers,
Adi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom