Replaced Brake Fluid....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not sure how any garage could make money doing a full BF change for £40 unless it was sold as 'loss leader' just to get you in the door to sell you some other service.
That's why I went to the Indy. I suppose if their labour rate is relatively low and they can do it in 30mins or so then they could make a small profit and as you say they will no doubt hope you will use them again for something else.

Bit sceptical about '30 minutes' the clock starts £ the second the mechanic touches your car, and it's not a race as it has to be done right. I would think most garages would quote minimum an hours labour on a basic system.

One seized bleed nipple and the hour becomes.......

My experience has been they will refuse to tackle a seized nipple because of the potential hassle involved if it shears.

Have you looked into the postage costs for a heavy battery ? Just curious. I have had a number of batteries from Tayna over the years, but thankfully I have never had to post one back to them.

I recently had this problem and could not find a courier that would ship car batteries for the public. Only UPS would do it and they charged a reasonable £11.99 door to door service

My experience has been they will refuse to tackle a seized nipple because of the potential hassle involved if it shears.

This is often (if not always) the beef when people ask 'how long will it take and what will it cost?'. Anyone who has ever worked on an older car knows that the answer is entirely dependent on how easily it comes apart. One broken bolt (or bleed nipple) can turn a ten minute job into days off the road. Just how it is with older stuff - and not always that old either.

Given how awkward bleed nipples can be, I wonder how many actually release them when changing pads?

Yes , we had a member on here a short while ago with a C or E 63 , the MB main dealer snapped a bleed nipple off and it turned into bloody war and peace on here ! went on for longer than the car was off the road :p

What a kerfuffle

Not sure how any garage could make money doing a full BF change for £40 unless it was sold as 'loss leader' just to get you in the door to sell you some other service.

I have never had the brake fluid changed by a national tyre chain myself, but while buying tyres I have seen brake fluid change advertised on price lists for this sort of money.

I agree that fluid should be changed, but every 2 years may seem excessive, how does water get into a relatively sealed brake system anyway ?
Has anyone experienced internal corrosion of a braking system ?
Good questions, I guess relatively sealed is not sealed so if air can get in, the brake fluid will abosrb the water from it. I also suspect as technology moves forward braking systems are better designed so less air/water can get in there.

I have not had corrosion personally, and I am the same with my brake fluid (it needs changing) but we have had customers who have had it, but do not have more details such as service history, condition etc as to the exact cause.

Cheers,

Guy

I had pads, discs and fluid change done for £90 all in at a local garage! Tho I think that was down to the very fact I rolled up with a 54 plate c180k!

I had pads, discs and fluid change done for £90 all in at a local garage! Tho I think that was down to the very fact I rolled up with a 54 plate c180k!
Forgot to mention I got quoted £120 per axel for pads n discs and then £60 for fluid change from an indie!

Forgot to mention I got quoted £120 per axel for pads n discs and then £60 for fluid change from an indie!
£120 per axel for pads and discs is good price. The pads would be circa £30 - £50 depending on model. The discs would be circa £30 each. Assuming non-MB parts. So parts alone would be circa £90, but of course the garage would be getting a trade discount.

£120 per axel for pads and discs is good price. The pads would be circa £30 - £50 depending on model. The discs would be circa £30 each. Assuming non-MB parts. So parts alone would be circa £90, but of course the garage would be getting a trade discount.
No the £120 per axel was Labour only.. I always buy my own parts..

No the £120 per axel was Labour only.. I always buy my own parts..
Ouch, then it is too much. I can do the front axel on my A and old E class in about 40 mins using a trolley jack. I would avoid doing the rears as the hand-brake pads can be rusty making it difficult to remove the rear discs. But front discs are super easy with a good size hammer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom