Replacement brake pipes from Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RaceDiagnostics

Car
450SL XK8
Does anyone know if Mercedes supplies brake pipes formed into the correct shape or straight/coiled lengths. I have 3 lines I would like to replace but would be pointless going for OEM unless they are pre formed.

20210304185843-d372cdfd-me.jpg

Make sure that you do not put them any where near a open fire in the house or they are likely to melt been made of chocolate, joking apart Mercedes must be the worst manufacturer of brake pipes! i have had a three year old W221 S class fail on front brake pipes and our old 2002 ford fiesta runabout passes each year, every mercedes ive owned have been the same guaranteed mot fail come test time

Since you have them off get some copper/nickel (kunifer) brake pipe in a roll and shape some new ones.
It's quite tough stuff though so do it when you have time and the patience. ;)

My preference is for the olive green pipes but steel is really tricky to bend accurately. Does anyone know of a supply of cunifer in olive green?

Make sure that you do not put them any where near a open fire in the house or they are likely to melt been made of chocolate, joking apart Mercedes must be the worst manufacturer of brake pipes! i have had a three year old W221 S class fail on front brake pipes and our old 2002 ford fiesta runabout passes each year, every mercedes ive owned have been the same guaranteed mot fail come test time
Well I guess they don't make them like they used to. These ones are original and 42 years old with only cosmetic damage, but it would be a shame to put them back in here after it's painted, in anything other than perfect condition.

20210305142834-68c54116-me.jpg

Yes, I have one of these, however I have found that bending steel pipes accurately is pretty tricky, when you've only tried a couple of times in your lifetime. Will probably go for cunifer and paint, if I cant find prepainted cunifer.

I did that before with this green epoxy but the colour is wrong.

20180729133239-983faa40-me.jpg

Interesting subject. definitely Kunifer ! Sintered copper work hardens and will break, and steel does what steel does best. Citroen used to plastic coat steel which lasted quite well then a small crack in the plastic let water in and boy did they rot, without you knowing until one burst.
I've been using Kunifer for decades and never seen any hardening or corrosion. Get them made up and bend between your fingers using the old ones as a pattern, with care it's quite easy. :)

That sounds like a good'n !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom