Replacement front discs/pads - E250 (W212)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oeufbum

Car
Mercedes E250
Dear All,
I have just received a replacement front discs/pads set from MB in the UK (I have lived in Spain for the past 12 months) for my W212 E Class.
The car is booked in tomorrow with a local mechanic to get them changed. He has sorted out a couple of other minor issues on the car since I have been here, and also carried out a 'B' service a few weeks ago. He and his team of 2 others seem very competent at what they do. He is also German, so I guess that is a bonus!
My question is.....the discs are covered with a grey primer, or some other protective coating. Does this need to be removed before they are fitted? I have looked at other MB discs on line, and they all seem to be the same, so it's certainly nothing new. I'm sure he will know, however I just wanted to be clear in my own head!!
I'd appreciate any help and/or comments.
Thank you.
Alex

PS: I have been a member on this forum for well over 10 years and was (IIRC) up to around 1,500 posts. Alas, on logging this morning I find my old log-in details are not available and may have been removed due to non-use over the past couple of years (busy buying a new-build house, and then moving over here permanently last November)...........so I have had to start afresh. Hence this showing as my first post!
The current E250 (with AMG Sport Pack) is my fourth Mercedes, having previously been the proud owner of a C240, C320 and E320 (W211). I have had the current one for 7 years, and have no intention of replacing it. 102,000 miles.....and still on the original front discs and pads (just!).

Last edited:
Am pretty sure that it's normal , just fit them and drive. I seem to remember rear discs I bought last year from MB , for an old A class , were just the same and my local garage fitted them without comment. One application of the brakes and I would assume the braking surface is down to bare metal.

Take a look at legitstreetcars.com on YouTube , find the relevant video . You will see Alex replaces all 4 OEM discs on a C55 and stresses to leave the coating in place, I replaced the OEM Brembo brakes on my C55 and did exactly that, without issue.

Take a look at legitstreetcars.com on YouTube , find the relevant video . You will see Alex replaces all 4 OEM discs on a C55 and stresses to leave the coating in place, I replaced the OEM Brembo brakes on my C55 and did exactly that, without issue.

Thanks Pete for your very prompt response. I was 99% sure that was the case, and the video confirms this. Great stuff!
Thanks also too Smart320, for your similar comments.
What a fantastic forum this is still.Oh how I have missed it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom