replacement front shocks and springs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

unclebuck

Car
CLS 320 /08
My first post here and hopefully a solution!

I have a 2005 clk 220 cdi i believe this is a W209?

for a little while when going over a section of rough road i would hear clunking and what sounded like a washer rattling around.

Today just as i got off the phone to mercedes booking in my B service for the car i drove off and heard something metal fall on the road and roll along clanging as my window was open.

It is part of the shock spring and has broken off.

I am going to replace both front shocks and springs, I was wondering if these Koni's i found on ebay are ok: Koni STR.T Front Shock Absorber Mercedes CLK (W209) Coupe 220CDI, 270CDI, 320CDI

I know i need to get some new gators and springs also. I cant seem to be able to find a complete front set with everything just separates.

Any suggestions??

Are you keeping it standard? If so you're prob best getting the springs from the dealer as there are loads of different types depending on spec. Shocks are made by Sachs, their webcat is really good - if you stick your car details in, you should find the correct part number then you can shop around on eBay or whatever. Some really rate the Bilstein B4 shocks as a standard fit too.

https://webcat.zf.com/?SPR=4

Last edited:
^^^ +1

One caveat for looking up your parts on webcat, set the country to Germany and the language to English. If you set the country to Great Britain, it will not show you any springs.

I believe this is because a certain large european car parts supplier owns the sales rights to Sachs springs in the UK.

When I tried to buy Sachs springs from them a couple of years ago and wanted to cross check the manufacturer's number against the MB part number, the numbers they were quoting me were not Sachs parts.

Under time pressure, I bought from MB, but they were a little more expensive than internet pricing.

I would recommend ZF (Boge, Sachs, Lemforder) suspension parts, they are most likely to have been the original equipment fitted to the car.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help! looking at things mine is a C209 2005 clk 220 cdi

i have found these Bilstein B4 shocks on ebay: i still have to look for springs and gators.

Bilstein B4 Front Shock Absorber Mercedes CLK (C209) 220 CDI (100 kW).

I am taking the car to a tyre and shocks place across from my work tomorrow to check everything over and get the details from any lables on the shocks.

thanks for the help.

http://cgi5.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SellLikeItem&item=232126308150&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2567

I got a pair of complete struts from apex breakers. They came from a write off and were practically brand new for £ 120 . if int ?

sorry it took a while to get back to the thread, thanks everyone for your help. It turns out that it was a piece of someone else's shock i just happened to run over. Mine are fine but the front lower arms and drop link arm bushes are shot. I have ordered a complete arm set for the front end as i may as well replace them all, then the car is going in to be re-tracked. will update with a few pics soon!!

Any details on arm set . ebay or mb ?

yes i have found these on ebay

from the uk :

MERCEDES-BENZ SLK FRONT UPPER LOWER SUSPENSION WISHBONE ARMS & LINKS KIT | eBay

from germany:
KIT WISHBONE SUSPENSION ARM FRONT MERCEDES CLK C209 A209 C-CLASS W203 S203 CL203 | eBay

i am more inclined to go with the uk seller, no negative feedback etc, these are a stopgap until i get the genuine merc setup. I just came back from the merc dealership, had a full b service done. no other issues a little corrosion on the brake pipes but was told to use a wire brush on them to clean then coat with anti corrosion paint. that was it really.

if your budget can stretch have a look on euro car parts at the lemforder arms , i dont thing those on ebay would last more than 1000 miles tbh . i paid more than that for 1 arm , and lemforder now ZF supply Mercedes yet Mercedes charge £100 more per arm .

using the code HOLIDAY75 i just got a great reduction on the arms dropped from £263.98 i got them for £166.31

i still need the drop links though suggestions?

the listing is wierd though as it says upper and lower...

|Car PartsRetailer

Lemforder Suspension Arm (Front Axle Lower Front Right; Front Axle Right Upper Front)

many thanks!!

i ordered my sachs shocks from there , best prices on the market, they are german based company and delivery was around 1 week .

2 kinds of drop links also , standard suspension and sports suspension .

here is standard - 605220305 @ ecp .

Last edited:
Had the b service done friday, apart from the arms all is good. i took the one front wheel off to clean things down and take a look and some pics. ordering everything tomorrow.

going to replace the anti roll bar bushes, also take the bar off clean it and give it a coat of por15. I will also coat all the new parts with por15 to protect them prior to fitting.

A little corrosion on the small brake pipes but they wire brush good then coat those also. Some slight rust spots there, good rub down and coating and all will be good. get this all done before the weather changes!!

got my drop links in today went for meyle also got a new serpentine belt to fit this weekend. Just waiting for the front control arms and antirollbar poly bushes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom