Replacement head in W203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geek

Car
2011 W221 S350
I have a Sony head unit that I want to fit in place of my Audio 10 (cassette) in my W203. Checked it out last night and sound is far better than the stock unit.

Only problem I have is finding a 'switched' wire for it. The permanant live is there, but can't find the switched.

Any one help please.

seem to remember somebody saying that there is no ignition sensing wire in the ISO connector for the W203 - you may need to take it from something else - like the glovebox light.

S.

There is no ignition sense wire on the ISO on the W203.

You will have to tap it from a Black wire with a yellow stripe on it next to the transmission. Its basically the feed for the cigerette lighter socket. This is because the ignition sense is controlled by the fibre on the back of the headunit.

If you want Ill try and get you a pickie.

Thanks Fuzzer. Yeh a piccie would certainly help. What a <insert rude word here> :eek: getting the air vents out though...:devil:

Its easy peasy once youve done it once.

I know this sounds like im a moron , but , taking the ashtray out was a little bit tricky . I didnt want to hear the cracking sound. But it just comes out once youve pulled it. its like one of those baked beans puzzles taking it apart. The best thing i had was lots of foam to kneel and lye on .

I actually bought the OEM telephone console which ment taking the trim round the transmission out . the dashboard trim off .The radio out .The glovebox out , the passenger floor carpet out. Steel kickplate etc etc ... i know my way round it now ... hehe.

Personally i would go for an alpine head unit. They have a little control box that lets you plug the bus lead into. the third plug most likely with three wires in it. Thiis lets you still use your steering wheel controls. The bus box is about £70 and its official alpine.

get it here Car Audio Discount

Ill get some pickies tomorrow when im off.

Last edited:
Thanks Fuzzer. I've already had the head unit out in the past, when I installed my MP3 player.

When I got the car I couldn't afford the autochanger, and picked up a TRAXDATA MStation MP3 player with 10GB hdd for £150.

I installed the front unit in the ash tray and the HDD in the boot. I get the audio thro' a cassette adaptor that is inside the cassette deck. The wire is hidden out of the back of the head unit.

Works great, but is let down by the sound quality of the becker unit. I managed to lash up the sony head to prove the speakers sounded ok with the MP3.

Piccies attached

MP3%20001a.jpg

MP3%20004a.jpg

Piccies on the other post are great. Thanks for your help. I'm sure other W203 owners will need this as well.

Much appreciated.:bannana: :bannana:

Will post piccies when mod completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom