Replacement key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AB65

Car
E class 300 coupe
Hi Guys!
Has anyone had any experience of obtaining a replacement key?
Currently buying a 2017 E300, but only x1 key with car. Not phased by this, but need advice to get a spare
Thanx in advance
AL

The official route is via an MB dealer, they will want to see a V5C in your name and a photo ID. The cost is £300-£400 Inc. programing, and they will also delete (cancel) the missing key. And of course they will also cut the emergency key blade.

There are also auto locksmiths who can provide this as a mobile service for around half the price, though I don't have direct experience with these.

Hi Guys!
Has anyone had any experience of obtaining a replacement key?
Currently buying a 2017 E300, but only x1 key with car. Not phased by this, but need advice to get a spare
Thanx in advance
AL
Fwiw when I brought my little 639 it only came with one key. I ordered a spare from an MB main dealer, they required proof of ownership, proof of identity & the vehicle itself to confirm for themselves the VIN number before they would accept my order.!
It was a bit of a faff at the time, but frankly was quite reassuring that it was so secure.
I've never needed to use it in all the time I've owned my spare key, however I'm sure if I didn't have one ,,,,,,,,

If you are "currently buying" could you not throw in the line.: "ok, supply it with a second key & you;ve got a deal" when your negotiations have reached conclusion.?

Thanks for replies!
I did use that as a 'negotiating' tool and it did help with the final price! The seller (independant dealer) said that you have to be the 'registered' keeper to be able to start the process, obviously he was not, so makes sense. I'm not phased by it, but would like the 'security' of a 2nd key, just in case!!!!

If you are "currently buying" could you not throw in the line.: "ok, supply it with a second key & you;ve got a deal" when your negotiations have reached conclusion.?
This sounds a good approach.

Replacementmercedeskeys .co.uk have a very good rep and charge about £200 for a new key and depending where you are they will do a mobile service

Replacementmercedeskeys .co.uk have a very good rep and charge about £200 for a new key and depending where you are they will do a mobile service
RMK cannot provide keys for a 2017 model apart from a Sprinter .
Main dealer only unless somewhere else can do it.

I bought a second key for Mrs R's W202 C200 last year. Went to a main dealer. It took about two weeks and cost £245 all in. You have to have the V5 in your name to place an order and take along your licence as ID/proof of address.

RMK cannot provide keys for a 2017 model apart from a Sprinter .
Main dealer only unless somewhere else can do it.
Samcrac on YouTube has recently posted about a gizmo for programming keys which seems to have worked on 2 of his modern cars. About $500 I think. Worth a look, although his key cutting machine failed miserably.

If you’ve negotiated it into the price then get it sorted with the main dealer and importantly get them to erase the missing key too.

I too had to get a 'spare' key for mine ( 2003 SL 500 ) and i had to go to the main dealership, with the car, ID and log book, then the exact same thing a week later to have the new key set for the car.... Bit of a Faff but like another poster i felt very happy that they took these measures to protect my car.
I seem to recall that it cost around £300 inc VAT - And they did attach the new key to a nice MB key fob for nowt!

Just to mention Car Keys Solutions managed to obtain and program a new key fob (keyless entry) for £420 Also included 'deleting' the 'missing' key.
Absolutely faultless from start to finish. Whole thing took approx 3 days!!
Great work guys and many thanks!!!

Hi have two keys but only one works would it be possible to use that key to get reprogrammed or would I need a brand new one

There are also auto locksmiths who can provide this as a mobile service for around half the price, though I don't have direct experience with these.

If I understand correctly, for cars newer than 2014, the only option for a key is through the dealer. There are tools that can program keys for older models (i own one) but they don't work for anything post 2014. A friend recently had to replace the key in his E63S and it cost him $700 US to do it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom