Replacement keys - programming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

proser

Car
W210 E320Cdi Estate
Does a BRAND NEW STILL IN BAG key have to be programmed by main dealer, or can an indy with Star do it ???

Hi,
When the key was ordered it was programmed for the car it was ordered for, once programmed they cannot be reprogrammed, this is certainly the case with the electronic keys.

Yep, keys are programmed at factory, not your main dealer. They just order it for you.
Your indy might be able to order a new one for you, but will probably cost the same as dealer. Worth asking them both to quote you a price.

But as above, an existing key (no matter how new) is useless to you.

Just had a look on EPC and keys can be ordered unprogrammed as well as programmed.

An unprogrammed one has an ES2 code of 9999.

I know of one available that is unprogrammed, ie has 9999 as part of the part number on the sealed packaging.

I think the dealers use what is called a 'green key' to program them , but not sure how ...

Looks like I may have to have a word with my local friendly parts manager.

My understanding was that dealers don't have any key programming capabilities.

This not the case then?

The factory must use some type of computer system to program the keys to certain parameters so surely there must be a way to do it outwith the factory. Might need some expensive equipment but it must be possible.

If you order it unprogrammed, you have to use an Orange key to program the new key to the car. There is a £500 deposit to be paid for this orange key and has to be returned to the dealer.

Yet another contradictary post, but am only repeating what a friend of mine has said to me whilst he lived in Gambia he owned a 210, he was in Geneva, Switzerland on buisness, he thought he would take advantage of being near a MB dealer and thought he would order a new key, they ordered it and said for him to come back a few days later, went to collect when told to but it had not arrived after waiting around for nearly 4 hours he was given a blank key with instructions on how to code it, just by placing in the ignition.
I was always very sceptical about what he was saying but he insists it is true.
He is going to attempt to find the MB document that told him how to do it.
I thought he was talking about the flip out key type of the early 210 but after looking at my C43 key he said no it was like that.
If he finds it I,ll let you know.

Last edited:
Im sorry but thats impossible AFAIK... you need the programming key to code a blank key... We have done the process here once..

Im sorry but thats impossible AFAIK... you need the programming key to code a blank key... We have done the process here once..

That was always my understanding as well, but he insists his key was electronic, like I said if it was the flip out key blade style I would say it was true, as the procedure he tried to recollect to me put me in mind of my Pre facelift C230K with the flip out key.

MBWorld confirmed that they need to code the key with a green key when i asked them about a replacement .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom