Replacement mirror components.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
Unfortunately, the other day I decided to find out how much give there is in the wing mirror / garage door post industry.

Answer?

Very little.

I've asked my inde for a price but just wondering if there are alternatives.

My car is a W211 E55 AMG 10/2004.

What's broken?

Basically it seems there are two different clips holding the mirror on, the casing has lost a plastic lug which is one, and there is a metal part of the mirror unit underneath (which looks like it is made from die-cast metal) and has a length which clips onto another part of the plastic housing, and this metal bit has broken off. So the mirror does not hold at all now, except with the sticky tape I've used.

So, I believe I need a new casing, and a new bit underneath which the casing is clipped onto.

Is this something whereby I can swap the glass and motor out into another 'chassis' and just clip on a new casing, or is it a total replacement job?

Mirror is fine, and gets hot, the whole thing adjusts and they fold in still.

Unfortunately, the other day I decided to find out how much give there is in the wing mirror / garage door post industry.

Answer?

Very little.

Sorry John, but i had a little giggle at that!

For your info, below are the parts we list for your car, they are complete units , and would require painting to suit your car, however it will give you a guide price.

Description: Macht Door Mirror (Drivers Side)
Notes: Electric, Aspherical, Heatable, Electronically foldable, with memory
Part No.: 489220400
Web Price: £186.00
Forum Price: £139.50
Macht - Euro Car Parts UK
321-0061.JPG

Description: Macht Door Mirror (Passenger Side)
Part No.: 489220390
Web Price £193.20
Forum Price:£144.90
Macht - Euro Car Parts UK
489220390.jpg

Humour is how I deal with this kind of painful experience!

I think I need to provide a little more detail as mine are heated/electric folding etc. etc.

Have a look at this post - which has photos so you can see what I mean:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/38155-w211-mirror-blinker-replacement.html

Basically, I am after the metal frame from picture one that I described.

I also need both parts of picture 2 (including the lense for the indicator strip).

Hi john

The parts above are both electric, heated and electrically folded. - these should be a direct replacement for your current unit.

We don't sell the parts seperatley,(other than the glass on its own) so feel free to use the above prices as a guide.

If you need any further help, feel free to drop me a PM.

I also need both parts of picture 2 (including the lense for the indicator strip).

Buy a cover from MB, it will come in colour and won't be that expensive.

Does your car have a dimming drivers mirror?

Beware of some of the supercheap copy mirror assemblies, the glasses are not always compatible with real ones, meaning if you break the glass, you'll need to buy the lot again.

Do also note that the exterior mirror design changed substantially at the June 2006 facelift, so if you're buying parts online, make sure they're the older type.

John, if you have the broken metal part, cant you liquid metal ot back together?

if not the ECP prices are very good, you will need the cover as well, a few on ebay.

Thanks gents.

I'd already since decided to buy a replacement Merc mirror casing, indicator LED strip and lense as they are just over a ton all in - I couldn't see any on eBay last time I looked but there were a lot of non-OEM replacements it looked like.

To completely replace OEM, the original price was £500, but the majority of that was for the metal chassis.

As you say Alps, someone else here also suggested chemical metal from Halfords or similar.

It's only that small lug broken off so I am sure I can repair that or fabricate something that will probably be stronger - I'm sure the metal is bleedin' diecast like Matchbox cars used to be (not deliberate by MB I'm sure)...

:rolleyes:

I need to save some money for my now-exhaust issue.

Thanks gents.

I'd already since decided to buy a replacement Merc mirror casing, indicator LED strip and lense as they are just over a ton all in - I couldn't see any on eBay last time I looked but there were a lot of non-OEM replacements it looked like.

What colour code is your car?

No wish to hi-jack JohnEBoy's thread but while everyone's looking at mirror replacements, I need a O/S powerfold mirror for a 2006 A Class in black if anyone spots one. Ta, Jeff.

What colour code is your car?

I knew it was Tektite Grey but no idea on the code.

According to the plate behind the front door, it is 'C753' (Tektitgrau)

@John - glad you got it sorted, now please don't try to find out how bumpers fair with high curbs, or something like that :)

@Jeff - Have a look on our site, it seems you can buy a complete unit for a little more than a mirror cover from MB )John was lucky he didn't smash it completley)

You mean avoid learning how much give there is on other industries such as bodywork?

I reckon there is a little more give in the bumper industry...

To be honest with you, I couldn't face changing the whole unit for the sake of that small lug you can see at the bottom of the mirror unit in the middle which I think I can repair quite easily.

If I cannot fix it, I may well opt for one of these as it does look the same - I will then have a spare set of innards should I repeat my industry assessments or something break... :p

The thing with the Merc bits I've ordered is it comes in the right colour already - saving me having to dikaround getting it painted.

I agree bumpers are suposed to get bumped :) but don't go testing that any time soon :p

The Mercedes option sounds perfect for you. Glad your back with 2 mirrors :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom