Replacement rear spoiler brakelight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

babz

Car
1996 Mercedes C180
Does anyone know if its a waste of time trying to find a replacement spoiler brake light/cluster online? My spoiler brake light is meant to have 7 small lights but none of them are working.

i opened it up thinking it could just be blown bulbs, but i found that the connection for the bulbs which are directly soldered to the circuit board where completely rusted and have broken away.

i personally think that i need either the circuit board with the lights soldered on or a whole cluster?? so far my only option is to but a whole spoiler with the brake light!? :eek:

No need to bump after a couple of hours, it is not like your post fell off the first page. When someone who knows the answer reads the post they will reply, or try searching the forum as it has bound to have come up before.

im not sure if it is an original part, although there are a lot of c klass's that have the same spoiler. how much will i be looking at roughly?

Are you talking about the bonnet spoiler with the third brake light (strip) in the middle? If it came OE with the car it could be an AMG piece of kit, as I saw it on an AMG catalogue for the W202 (probably no longer available). I may be able to dig it out at home, but it is most likely be in French and/or German :D

I had the same problem on my SL. The brake light unit in the spoiler was made by Hella. I contacted them but it was no longer available so I stripped the guts out of the unit and wired up a series of 6 or 7 red LED's with an in-line resistor. I had to make a mount for them to keep them in the right place which I made from a thin strip of plastic with holes drilled in it. The LED's just pushed in the holes and were tight enough not to require and sticking in place.

I bought the parts from this company...

Rapid Electronics - Electronic Components > Optoelectronics (LEDs)

thanks for the replies guys, ive searched the net and all ive come up with is this

13.75" Front Mount Spoiler Light

it seems to be the right one, although the connection is different. the light in my spoiler doesnt have wires coming out of the back. what do you guys think??

i managed to open the brake cluster up in hope that i can tidy the connectors up a little bit, but they are so corroded i cant see how i can fix it?? :/

i managed to open the brake cluster up in hope that i can tidy the connectors up a little bit, but they are so corroded i cant see how i can fix it?? :/

Fix it as per my post above. Mine was shot inside too....

sorry for the late post, ive binned the brake light i realized the inside was COMPLETELY shot. i guess the water leak caused too much damage. ive been very busy trying to source a replacement.

i phoned up my MB dealership and they told me they cant supply the part.
i phoned up hella who is the manufacturer and they dont make it anymore.

but just before i was surfing the net and came across a post in an MG forum and apparently the MGF uses the exact same light?!!? its even made by hella.

what do you guys think???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom