Replacement shocks for S202 C43

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blobsta

Car
S202 C43 Wagon
Ok team, hit me with some experiences please if you have them.
I have a light knock when going over bumps, and it's on the offside even if the bump is on the nearside so it tracks across the car. This morning I replaced both upper wishbones and both lower balljoints on the front. It's not the wheel bearing, they've been checked and nothing that I can find has any play in it. The upper ball joint was pretty tired and loose but it wasn't the culprit.

Anti-roll bar bushes look pretty tired so I'm going to change those ASAP but I am starting to thing that it may be the shock leg itself. I really don't want to play a game of "parts darts" here but I'm running out of options. The shock legs themselves look really old now and I don't recall anything in the comprehensive history for new shocks so I have no doubt they are tired at least, at 23 years old with 115k, they should have been done a few times by now.

To the point then, do you only fit OEM? What would be a good OE alternative or does anybody have experience of something else? This is my daily drive, not a track car, I don't want to mess about with lowering springs/coilovers and all that stuff or change the initial design spec but in over 20 years, things move on and better stuff becomes available.

Discuss.

"Parts darts"....lol. Based on past experience I would not mind betting that the anti roll bar bushes or even the end links are the source of the noise.

I would have gone ARB as well.
Depending on the model, you might find the original ARB has bushes bonded to it and aftermarket bushes are hard to come by plus a load of fiddling.
If this is the case, get in touch with e.g. Merc Grangemouth, Edinburgh or Newcastle (the last two via their eBay store) to see how much a replacement would be.
A long time ago now (about 5-7 years at a guess) I had the front ARB with bonded bushes for the W203 for about £50, which shocked the life out of me (in a good way).

In terms of shocks, you might be able see a Merc AND the OEM part manufactures number, or brand. If you can see the brand, check the shocks on the OEM website to get the OEM number.
Again, W203, I could see they were Sachs and the number, so I just searched using the number and got direct replacements that way, super cheap from one of the large continental Europe parts retailers.

"Parts darts"....lol. Based on past experience I would not mind betting that the anti roll bar bushes or even the end links are the source of the noise.
It doesn't have drop links as that would have been my first guess, the ARB goes straight to the lower wishbone on these and just bolts on with saddle clamps.
1656325449515.png

Shocks appear to be "shockingly" (see what I did there?) expensive! I don't know which manufacturer made them though. Looks like my options are either cheap brands, OEM or Koni. I'll keep digging.

OE shocks are AMG made by Bilstein.
I don't think MB sell them anymore?

You can go with aftermarket Bilstein B6 or B8, not sure if this is the correct version?
You can buy Koni's, I have the yellow adjustables on my car and they are very good!

What is ARB?
MrGreedy wrote " I had the front ARB with bonded bushes for the W203 for about £50, which shocked the life out of me (in a good way)"
What part from W203 fits the W202?

Anti Roll Bar

Would have never figured that out.

Are these w203 rubber bushings sturdier than w202?
It's only rubbers and nothing else to update, not the steel bar?

Went for the Koni shocks, but not the adjustable type as there's no need on my daily driver, it's worth spending the money on these bits in m y opinion, this car is getting better every week as I resolve the little niggles and I simply love it.
Thanks for the responses.

I'm going for Bilstein B8s for mine soon, they're slightly shorter like the standard Mercedes/AMG shocks to work in unison with the lowered "Sport" springs.

Would have never figured that out.

Are these w203 rubber bushings sturdier than w202?
It's only rubbers and nothing else to update, not the steel bar?
I think this was purely anecdotal rather than a suggestion that 203 parts fit.

I'm going for Bilstein B8s for mine soon, they're slightly shorter like the standard Mercedes/AMG shocks to work in unison with the lowered "Sport" springs.
I couldn't find any evidence to support the AMG shocks actually being shorter, how much shorter are they? The Koni ones are designed to work with lowered suspension as well and it's not like we're talking drastic drops on these things is it? I'll measure them up when they arrive and compare against what I assume is OEM on mine. If the part numbers are in any way visible at this point it will be useful else my findings could be totally irrelevant

I couldn't find any evidence to support the AMG shocks actually being shorter, how much shorter are they? The Koni ones are designed to work with lowered suspension as well and it's not like we're talking drastic drops on these things is it? I'll measure them up when they arrive and compare against what I assume is OEM on mine. If the part numbers are in any way visible at this point it will be useful else my findings could be totally irrelevant
The AMG shocks are definitely slightly shorter, in comparison to standard W202 ones anyway, part of the "Sport" pack. They aren't dropped drastically, but take a look at a US spec C43 ride height; they look like they're on stilts. That's mainly down to the taller springs they got though. If the Koni ones are designed for the lowered chassis though then they should be fine yeah 👍🏼

Now I've fitted the new shocks and ARB bushes I thought I'd update.

The shocks on the car were actually Bilsteins which although very crusty at the base were all still holding masses of gas pressure and are in fact very hard to compress off the car, it takes most of my weight to move them. Initially I was a little disappointed as they seemed so good but I found that two of them actually have play in shaft just before they reach full extension. the knocking noise has now stopped thankfully so they must have been the cause of the issue.

If anyone is interested, the Koni shocks are the exact same length as the Bilstein versions as you can see here so overall I am very pleased with my purchase.
IMG-5449.jpg

IMG-5450.jpg

They were a fair bit softer on compression (but not on expansion) which had me a bit concerned but the car corners beautifully and as flat as it ever did before, it is an utter joy to drive now.

I also got some replacement headlight rubbers as they were breaking up, a bit pricey from Mercedes at £25+ each but they have made a pleasant difference and I know it is sealed up now properly
IMG-5458.jpg

IMG-5461.jpg

IMG-5463.jpg

I also had a new windscreen fitted last week and am pleased to report that there was zero rust behind it when it was removed:;

IMG-5436.jpg

IMG-5437.jpg

IMG-5438.jpg

Treated the scuttle with some Gtechniq C4 which has cheered it up a bit too.
IMG-5441.jpg

That's another couple of jobs complete.

Koni shocks, these are not the adjustable version?
Are you re-fitting protective dust covers on new shocks?

The other noise these shocks seem to commonly make is a nock as they change direction......like a small area of undamped movement (maybe 10 to 15mm) between compression and rebound. Took me ages to find that knock on the rear of my W209...!

Koni shocks, these are not the adjustable version?
Are you re-fitting protective dust covers on new shocks?
No, they're not adjustable, what would be the point? It's not a track car. I have adjustable shocks on my Mustang (factory fit), they're set half way and I've never touched them!

Dust covers, yes, you have to move all of that over, bump stops. covers, the annoying little spring washer etc. New nuts are supplied in the kit though. I just took the pics while everything was stripped out so you could see the size comparison

No, they're not adjustable, what would be the point? It's not a track car. I have adjustable shocks on my Mustang (factory fit), they're set half way and I've never touched them!

Dust covers, yes, you have to move all of that over, bump stops. covers, the annoying little spring washer etc. New nuts are supplied in the kit though. I just took the pics while everything was stripped out so you could see the size comparison

I bought the yello ones for my C43 had them for many years now.
They are adjustable, set on hardest settings.
Like 'em very much so far!

Won't buy anything else but Koni's. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom