Replacement Tyres - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charliecloud

Car
AMG E63 S212
The current P Zeros on my AMG E63 S212 are down to about 4mm, so wont be long before they will need changing.

Are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S the ideal replacements, for normal road use or are there better options to consider. My old Lexus ISF was on the Michelins and they worked really well in all conditions.

Following - I also need a new set. However, I’m not unhappy with the P Zeros.

Is there a preferred supplier?

Lol .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

4mm is still a fair way...

P-zero are soft compound but good all rounders
Continental are a hard compound and ok all round
Goodyear f1 are a good all rounder, price and performance
Michelins are still the best for performance, but pricey

4mm is still a fair way...

P-zero are soft compound but good all rounders
Continental are a hard compound and ok all round
Goodyear f1 are a good all rounder, price and performance
Michelins are still the best for performance, but pricey
When you say “performance” do you mean track day performance or everyday driving performance? I imagine that most drivers do not push their cars or tyres anywhere close to “performance” limits. My tyres will need replacing around 20,000 miles - is that good or bad ?

The current P Zeros on my AMG E63 S212 are down to about 4mm, so wont be long before they will need changing.

Are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S the ideal replacements, for normal road use or are there better options to consider. My old Lexus ISF was on the Michelins and they worked really well in all conditions.

What size tyres ?

What size tyres ?
265x35x19 fronts and 285x30x19 rears on a 212 E63.

@ OP. Michelin Pilot 4s are well regarded and probably #1 choice assuming they manufacture your sizes.
I went for Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 5's and find them far better than the P Zeros. Still got P Zeros on the front as they won't wear out!
Goodyear have superseded the 5's with Asymmetric 6 now.

Following - I also need a new set. However, I’m not unhappy with the P Zeros.

Is there a preferred supplier?
Camskill or Asda are my go to tyre supplier.
Asda will deliver to the garage of your choice for fitting. The price you pay is final.
Camskill may be cheaper, but allow for around £20 a tyre fitting, valve, balancing and disposal.

I Replaced the P Zeros on my w212 E63 in February with a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and the difference is truly unbelievable in all conditions such a great tyre completely transformed the way the car drives and handles.

The P Zeros had lots of life left in them but they were absolutely terrible i just wish I had done it sooner well worth the upgrade

I ordered mine via RAC tyres who delivered them to a local garage with fitting included which also included a £50 gift card to lighten the blow

I Replaced the P Zeros on my w212 E63 in February with a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and the difference is truly unbelievable in all conditions such a great tyre completely transformed the way the car drives and handles.

The P Zeros had lots of life left in them but they were absolutely terrible i just wish I had done it sooner well worth the upgrade

I ordered mine via RAC tyres who delivered them to a local garage with fitting included which also included a £50 gift card to lighten the blow
I’ve had trouble finding Michelins to fit my car.

285/30 R19 Y 98 rear
255/35 R19 Y 96 front

Lol .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Not sure I need UUHP tyres driving on UK roads. I doubt that most drivers would notice any difference (road driving).

Camskill or Asda are my go to tyre supplier.
Asda will deliver to the garage of your choice for fitting. The price you pay is final.
Camskill may be cheaper, but allow for around £20 a tyre fitting, valve, balancing and disposal.
I'm having some tyres fitted today (replacing the new Davanti set that the merc dealer put on the approved used I've just bought) and I contacted my local supplier direct (who is on the Blackcircles and Asda tyres sites). I thought if I contact him direct, I will pay the same price but he might save some commission that I thought they paid to Asda. He quoted more than Asda. I thought that he had to pay Asda a percentage of each sale but he said that he pays to be on their site rather than every transaction.
He has matched the Asda price and I'm going this afternoon. He said he is only on the Asda site to advertise himself. I must admit, I hadn't heard of the garage until I saw it on the Asda and Blackcircles site.
It was quicker contacting him direct than waiting for a slot via the Asda site. I only booked it in yesterday.

I think if you really consider the Pirellis were "absolutely terrible" and replacing them with Michelins the difference is "truly unbelievable in all conditions", :rolleyes: you're obviously a Driving God; either that, or pushing it so hard that you're an accident looking for a place to happen; or just got carried away after reading too many tyre tests. Don't be so silly...

My SLK's previous owner (for seven years) is a race driving instructor. It has Pirellis on it. Obviously they're rubbish...

The rears need replacing, and I will be fitting Goodyear Asymmetric 6s; they're the quietest premium tyres I can find in the size I need. I have no problem with the way it drives :devil:on the Pirellis, but they're noisy.

I think if you really consider the Pirellis were "absolutely terrible" and replacing them with Michelins the difference is "truly unbelievable in all conditions", :rolleyes: you're obviously a Driving God; either that, or pushing it so hard that you're an accident looking for a place to happen; or just got carried away after reading too many tyre tests. Don't be so silly...

My SLK's previous owner (for seven years) is a race driving instructor. It has Pirellis on it. Obviously they're rubbish...

The rears need replacing, and I will be fitting Goodyear Asymmetric 6s; they're the quietest premium tyres I can find in the size I need. I have no problem with the way it drives :devil:on the Pirellis, but they're noisy.
Have to agree. All this talk about UUHP tyres etc. I’ve done high performance driver training on a race test circuit (Millbrook proving grounds) and would say I’m more competent than Mr Average Driver and have never come close to the limits of the Pirellis on UK roads. So much of it is simply a placebo effect.

Pirelli do have a poor reputation on this forum, especially with AMG owners, but I’ve found them to be great and perform well. Maybe it’s a size specific probllem because E classes seem to be mentioned most.

I did once have a very slight high frequency vibration - which I could sometimes feel through the steering wheel - shortly after fitting a new set of Pirelli tyres which was difficult to pin point and got worse over time.

The tyre fitter and main dealer couldn’t find the cause of the vibration, but the tyre fitter or their distributor spoke to Pirelli and they said that if the tyres were returned to them then they’d check them over.

I had both front tyres replaced at my cost. Within a day or two they sent me a cheque for the full value of the both tyres. I doubt they checked, and just wanted to elimate the risk of someone trying it on for cash back.

I thought it was generous because I had covered thousands of miles in the meantime, and they covered the full cost of both tyres if I remember right. Yes there was a fault but they dealt with it well.

My personal preferred tyre of choice for road use in Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S however noticing the difference between it and a similar tyre from another brand would be beyond my capability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom