Replacement Windscreen "rippling" effect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyjenkins

Car
S204 C250 Sport
All,
Autoglas have replaced my W204 Windscreen a few weeks ago. Almost immeadiately I noticed that whilst looking through the passenger side, the scenery had a "rippling" effect; as if looking through a thin film of water. The result was that the scenary etc was distored whilst driving - the whole world seemed to "wobble".

Autoglass just came out again today to replace. Checking the replacement glass, the same issue was apparent; and the Autoglass guy could also see it. Autoglass are now going to order a Mercedes-Benz one (rather than an aftermarket one).

I've had a few cars in my life, and a few windscreens replaced, but never noticed such a 'defect'. Am I being too picky? Is rippling a side effect of the cheaper glass that AG use instead of ones that MB use ?

Andy

I had a similar issue with Autoglass on my wife's C70 the screen appeared to be cloudy took them 2 attempts to get it right.

Insist from the start a grnuine MB screen is fitted.

I had a replament screen fitted last year to the ML, from my first contact I insisted on a genuine MB item, and was told it would be.
Fitters turned up at agreed time, and before they started fitting I asked to see the new screen, it was a replica part. I refused to have it fitted, so the fitting company had no choice but to order a MB part.

I believe windscreen fitting companies fit replica screens then charge insurance companies for genuine parts....... A nice little earner.

i would like to replace the front windscreen on my w124 as it has the usual milky corners, can i get this done through my insurance and will it affect my no claims

anyone know the best route to go with this

thanks

Michael

I doubt it is the glass causing the effect, it's more likely to be the plastic interlay between the two sheets. You normally only get rippling to the glass if it is toughened, which is no longer used for windscreens.

i would like to replace the front windscreen on my w124 as it has the usual milky corners, can i get this done through my insurance and will it affect my no claims

thanks

Michael

yes: you would have to pay windscreen excess if your insurance offers it? it wouldnt effect no claims.

in the region of 50 -75 quid.

However if its just the milky corners and no real chips on the screen then you may get told that they wont replace it as they class it as wear and tear.

just be wise with your words.

I went through hell last year when I had to replace the screen on my 3 Series but I learnt a lot about this topic

I insisted on a genuine BMW screen fitted by the main dealer.

Got the quote which was £770 :eek:

So the work was done and whilst I kept wishing I had just gone to Autoglass because of the mess the dealer made of it, we got there in the end

On the E90 post forums however somebody there who did not have windscreen cover on his insurance went to Autoglass for a quote and it turned out that they would actually have charged MORE then the main dealer cost!!!

The actual cost of a 3rd party screen vs genuine is minimal so one can only assume that AG have much bigger margins on the 3rd party glass.

They will claim it is all the same. As the OP has discovered, it isn't.

One should always insist on original glass.

The insurance company will also claim that Autoglass is cheaper for them. For the actual cost it actually isn't however Autoglass offer a managed service to your insurance company. From the moment you pick up the phone and press the option for windscreens, AG are dealing with you all the way. This means the insurance company doesn't have to employ more staff to deal with it.

I had a similar thing on my ML when someone kindly launched a rock through it. I complained to my insurance company and mentioned it was not an MB sceen and they kindly changed the whole thing within a few days. Not being picky at all in my opinion.

For the record I only paid the windscreen excess which was unrelated to my NCB.
Edd

thanks

Michael

Wouldn't be just like the thing to pick up a stone chip? :devil:

I had my better halfs 2001 model Vauxhall Vectra windscreen replace by Auto Glass, it looked fine untill the first rain and there was a flat spot in the drivers eye line.

Took it back to AG who replaced with no issues, the fitter stated they will fit 'seconds' for insurance claim jobs and replace if the customer see's the fault!!

I am guessing genuine screens have MB stamped on them somewhere?

I've had one replacement screen with distortion but had a rental Mundano which had it on the genuine screen. It's just glass distortion, have a new screen.

Mercedes don’t manufacture windscreens, the have them made by experts like Pilkington who then brand the screens with the Mercedes logo, this is where the higher cost comes in, below is a replacement on a C180, its exactly the same windscreen as the original except for the script on the glass.
Pilkington - First in Glass

Dec

Windscreen.jpg

Cheers guys ...
AG have a batch of about 200 screens for the C Class it seems - and they suspect it could be down to a bad batch.

They're also trying to get me a dealer sourced windscreen, but said I'd have to wait until January (Backorder).

Spoke to the insurance (Direct Line) who could'nt be less interested in trying to help me if they tried. Insurance these days is about the service you get when you need them, often not the actual insurance you purchase. But at least they confirmed that the glass (any glass) that Autoglass fit will be "manufacturer approved".

I guess I wait until Monday and see what they decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom