Replacing 2016 E-class 220D... any thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EnEm

Car
E-Class W213
Hi

I have a current model E220D, purchased at the start of the model in March 2016. I am considering buying the same car, face-lift version, but wonder about the following. Any thoughts from experts or even just enthusiasts on these forums would be welcome. I tend to keep my cars for 5-6 years and my current mileage is about 50k.

I am limited to the entry level trim because I don't want or like privacy glass - I rarely carry passengers and (for me), it spoils the look of the car from the outside.

1. Petrol or another diesel. I ask because of the current downer on diesel engines since I got my current car, and I wonder is diesel would be a mistake over a 5-6 year ownership period. Is the entry level petrol car OK? I see they are not common in the new car listings. My first Mercedes was a first edition C180 petrol and whilst I loved that car, it was definitely underpowered. I want to avoid that. I am not a worried generally about the engine size - comfort over performance.

2. Latest C-Class? (the one not yet in the showrooms). I don't need the size of the E-Class, but I love the comfort this car givens me (this is my third E-Class).

3. Stick with the current car? Still a great car and I love it :). It does have the widescreen cockpit, which was an option then, but standard now.

Thanks for any thoughts on this (sorry I don't know the W-numbers for these cars).

EnEm

I take it you enjoy the lower RFL on your car, as a newer model would command the premium rate which happened to me.
My last E220 was a 2016, at £30 a year. I now have the same model but 2019, becca the original cost was over 40k the government has decided I have to pay more even though the emissions are no worse.

Hi, petrol or diesel would still depend on your mileage, Euro 6 diesels will be fine for the next five years at least.

I also agree with you with regards to the privacy glass, I also think it spoils the look from the outside, when I was looking for my current car, I also wanted one without privacy glass, but an. amg pack, I found one, but I wouldn’t choose the entry level because of the privacy glass. I would grudgingly accept the privacy glass for a higher spec car.

As for the facelift, I’m still not sold on that model, yes it has the newer mbux, but no clock in the console, looks odd without it, also still don’t know what to think of the headlights and brake lights.

Latest C Class looks good from the inside.

I take it you enjoy the lower RFL on your car, as a newer model would command the premium rate which happened to me.
My last E220 was a 2016, at £30 a year. I now have the same model but 2019, becca the original cost was over 40k the government has decided I have to pay more even though the emissions are no worse.
Thanks Tramper. An excellent point. This is one of the reasons for staying with my current car. £550 in year 2 onwards seems ridiculous.

Looking at the current list prices for an entry level E-class or C-Class, be it petrol or diesel, with only one option of metallic paint, they all come in just over £40k. A great puzzle. I am not in marketing or product positioning, but if I was I would make sure to keep the price at £39,999 at least for one model! And no, I won't buy a car with 'solid' paint :rolleyes: which is the only way to keep it below the theshold. I have even look to see if there is any plan to raise this (arbitrary) boundary.

no clock in the console
Yikes. I hadn't seen that. The clock is one of the great pleasures of the car :).

Pleased to learn that I am not the only one who doesn't like privacy glass! I toy with the idea of buying the car I want and getting the rear glass changed but its undoubtedly expensive and presumably would be treated as a modification my my insurers - not sure what the implications of that are.

Smallest petrol in the E coupe is E300, so won't be underpowered.
Thanks Scooby_Doo... I should have explained more clearly that it is the saloon that I am looking at. Sorry .

Sorry EnEm not answering your question but your post raised a question of my own, which I’m sure someone will know the answer. You have a current model E class registered in March 2016. I have the older model E class coupe W207 registered in September in 2016, was it just a case that dealers still had old stock or was the newer model saloon and coupe released at different times?
thanks Mark

Sorry EnEm not answering your question but your post raised a question of my own, which I’m sure someone will know the answer. You have a current model E class registered in March 2016. I have the older model E class coupe W207 registered in September in 2016, was it just a case that dealers still had old stock or was the newer model saloon and coupe released at different times?
thanks Mark
My memory is that the coupe was released later and that was def. the position with the estate. Unusually, the saloon and the estate are being released simultaneously for the forthcoming C-Class.

My memory is that the coupe was released later and that was def. the position with the estate. Unusually, the saloon and the estate are being released simultaneously for the forthcoming C-Class.
Thanks for the reply, that makes sense, because I came across several coupes from late 2016 When I was searching for mine, I’m new to Mercedes, myself 2 weeks so far but I’m loving the E class, good luck with your decision on what to buy next. Mark

My 2016 E coupe was an early runout "edition" model registered in June 2016 , I think the new shape wasn't released until early 2017.

Looking at the current list prices for an entry level E-class or C-Class, be it petrol or diesel, with only one option of metallic paint, they all come in just over £40k.
I think I was wrong about this. The price I looked at includes the first years road tax, which (presumably) is not part of the price the government use as the list price. So for diesel E220d or petrol E200 entry level E-class can get one for just under £40k with metallic paint. For the C-class only the C200 petrol is under £40k. The C220d with metallic paint is just over £40k (£550 pa road tax in year 2 onwards)

Last edited:
I think I was wrong about this. The price I looked at includes the first years road tax, which (presumably) is not part of the price the government use as the list price. So for diesel E220d or petrol E200 entry level E-class can get one for just under £40k with metallic paint. For the C-class only the C200 petrol is under £40k. The C220d with metallic paint is just over £40k (£550 pa road tax in year 2 onwards)
Sorry, I'm confused now. The smaller, lesser model (ie C-class) is more expensive than the bigger, better E-class?

The smaller, lesser model (ie C-class) is more expensive than the bigger, better E-class?
So it would appear! C220D Sport £39,820. E220D Sport £39,270. Metallic paint option for either car £685. This is for July 2021 production.

So it would appear! C220D £39,820. E220D £39,270. Metallic paint option for either car £685. This is for July 2021 production.
That makes the decision easier I should think! The tax is based on the rrp I think. If you get a discount from the dealer or carwow etc it doesn't count. I'm sure someone will put me right if that's not correct.

That makes the decision easier I should think!
Yes, and I have ruled out the c-class. According the the available images and the configurator the car cannot be ordered with light colour upholstery and a matching headliner. Cream/beige leather (called macchiato by the marketing team) gives you a black headliner.😕.

Even worse on the c-class is that the backs of the front seats are always black, regardless of the colour of the upholstery. It looks ugly (to me).

Yes, and I have ruled out the c-class. According the the available images and the configurator the car cannot be ordered with light colour upholstery and a matching headliner. Cream/beige leather (called macchiato by the marketing team) gives you a black headliner.😕.

Even worse on the c-class is that the backs of the front seats are always black, regardless of the colour of the upholstery. It looks ugly (to me).
I agree with you on both counts and with the privacy glass thing. I never buy new, so have to have what's on the car. Such a shame that we have so few options over here.

Have you seen the thread from glojo? His frustration with getting a colour, trim and spec he actually wants has led him to order from Belgium. Southern Ireland is another option.

Last edited:
Have you seen the thread from glojo?
Thanks for the link. I am 100% with glojo. What an excellent thread. The decisions made by the UK product managers to limit our choices are frustrating and unnecessary :wallbash:.

Based on the options available in other markets, we know it is utterly trivial to offer these choices to UK customers. A simple and easy change to the parameters on the production line 🤷‍♂️.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom