replacing a coil spring .......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jameshaydon

Car
W203 C Class
Hi all,

wondered if anyone could help out at all. Went for an MOT, and it failed due to a fractured coil spring, i have purchased one from mercedes @ £57... and have also found a garage to fit for me for £65, BUT, do i need to have the tracking done again after the new coil has been fitted ?

thanks for your help

James

Also, the guy at the MOT centre told me not to be tricked into buying the springs as a pair, as my other front spring is fine, would this be ok ? :\

I disagree..
Springs settle over time and so the new one is likely to be a different height to your old one..
When I bought my first W203 a few years ago it failed its MOT because of a broken rear spring. I got the garage to replace both..
But I didnt have to pay for it because I hadnt even collected the car.. They tried to get away with replacing just one and I asked "Is this an acceptable practice"? They phoned me back to tell me they had decided to replace both!
I suppose it would depend on the mileage that your remaining spring has done. In my case the W203 had done 51k when I bought it..

On my W202 I replaced one - 18 Months later the other one went :rolleyes:
A local garage to me fitted mine at £40 a side a couple of years ago.
If i was getting 2 replaced at the same time, it may of been cheaper.

When I have replaced coil springs in the past I have always found quite a difference between old and new when compared. This has persuaded me to always do them in pairs, can't say from a point of knowledge then if it is OK to do just one seems wrong not to do a pair.

ALWAYS do them in pairs.

You should not need a wheel alignment if a pair is fitted with standard MB springs.

i have the kompressor, so sports springs..... would this make a difference ?

thanks

How old is your car? How many miles on the springs?

Replace in pairs. Silly garage saying not to.

They couldn't possible be the same, unless you replaced them last week.

How old is your car? How many miles on the springs?

Replace in pairs. Silly garage saying not to.

They couldn't possible be the same, unless you replaced them last week.

my car is a 54 plate, done 73,000. i have only owned the car for a year, so couldnt say when the springs were done last, (if they have been or not)

It is ALWAYS good practice to replace coil springs in pairs.
Same with shock absorbers.

It is ALWAYS good practice to replace coil springs in pairs.
Same with shock absorbers.

Whilst not wishing to appear pedantic (and failing!:D) the springs are the shock absorbers, what are commonly and mistakenly referred to as shock absorbers are the dampers.

Its good practice to replace in pairs but not essential and certainly not dangerous....
these days springs are such a common replacement that you may find the other side has already been replaced?
I wouldnt expect any car dealer to replace pairs... there is no real reason to apart from the warm fuzzy inside feeling... unless there does happen to be a major difference and the car sits unevenly - very rare if you use MB springs.

The reason garages insist on replacing in pairs is just incase the other side does end up being higher (which can happen due to the new spring needing to settle) in which case they would end up having to do the other side and probably wouldnt be able to charge the customer any extra labour.

I cannot see why you would need to have the tracking done... You are using MB springs which is good, as you will get the correct one for the options on your car... well that is if the parts counter guy can add up.

Last edited:
Its good practice to replace in pairs but not essential and certainly not dangerous....
these days springs are such a common replacement that you may find the other side has already been replaced?
I wouldnt expect any car dealer to replace pairs... there is no real reason to apart from the warm fuzzy inside feeling... unless there does happen to be a major difference and the car sits unevenly - very rare if you use MB springs.

The reason garages insist on replacing in pairs is just incase the other side does end up being higher (which can happen due to the new spring needing to settle) in which case they would end up having to do the other side and probably wouldnt be able to charge the customer any extra labour.

I cannot see why you would need to have the tracking done... You are using MB springs which is good, as you will get the correct one for the options on your car... well that is if the parts counter guy can add up.

Very helpful, many thanks for your help jaymanek, i have had the one fitted, and will see how i go :thumb:

james

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom