Replacing a W202 Headlamp lens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AdamBoyse

Car
Defected to Porsche but still love mercs. Last car W202, C200 sport.
I'm just about to replace a cracked headlamp lens on my W202.

I had a quick look the other day and it didn't look too difficult. but knowing me, it will be! It appears as if you simply unclip the lens surround and undo the screws holding the lens in place.

Before I start, has anyone else had to do this and is there any advice you can give me before I start?

Thanks

Adam

remove the indicator and there will be a screw to remove the painted strip inder the headlight - this will make life easy.

I have asked b4 on another forum as I had a bug stuck behind lense and I think it was just a matter of lots of clips etc as you describe.

I didn't have too in the end as a high speed blast dislodged the bug, the same way it came in I expect.

Might want to take extra care as Xenons are high voltage.

PS - I like headlamp wipers, why don't you??

lightwash.gif

Thanks Guys - those tips are very helpful.

I've got be be honest, I'm getting used to the headlamp wipers but initially I thought they made the car look a bit "Crosseyed"!

You can't beat the Xenons though - very cool looking blue/purple light. My car's an ex-demonstrator and they loaded it with options like this that I'd probably never think of buying if I got the car from new.

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed Xenon's ;)

LOL

Koolvin, you could always buy my car and use it for parts!

oh yeah, when taking the clips out the do ping out, i think i lost one in the engine bay somewhere!

... when you replace the indicator lens, make very sure that it locates VERY firmly in the clips - its an easy thing to not put it back properly.

Failure to check this will result in the indicator lens flying down the motorway and smashing into a zillion pieces after bouncing off another car .... not that I'd know or anything....

S.

Originally posted by sym
... when you replace the indicator lens, make very sure that it locates VERY firmly in the clips - its an easy thing to not put it back properly.

Failure to check this will result in the indicator lens flying down the motorway and smashing into a zillion pieces after bouncing off another car .... not that I'd know or anything....

S.

You and Shude alike.

Thanks for all the feedback. Koolvin, you may want to change your mind about having Xenons. After trying to be clever and buying a standard replacement lens I discovered that it's completely different than the one fitted to my car.

So I headed into the dreaded dealership and they confirmed that the headlamp lens is a special part if you have Xenons. It's now on order and I'll fit it at the weekend.

A snip at "only" £57! Remember that's just for a piece of Bosch plastic

Oh well, it's going to get worse, I have to replace my brake discs and pads soon!

Whoever gets my car next is certainly going to get a car that's been looked after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom