Replacing consumables outside MB dealer network

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobsavage789

Car
C43 saloon
Hi all,

I’m looking at maybe changing brake pads and/or fluid on my W205 C43 myself, or at the very least trying to save a bit of money by engaging a local indie to do so. I have the extended MB warranty.

My question is: would doing so void the warranty?

Thanks in advance!

Fitting non MB parts will almost certainly give MB wiggle room on any warranty claim

You’ve bought a decent car - why try and skimp on parts save a few pennies?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can have servicing (scheduled and non-scheduled) done by an indie using genuine MB parts, and it won't void the warranty, but keep the receipts in case there are any queries.

Reactions: AMV
Assuming you fit OEM parts and it's done correctly, I don't see a problem.
And an indy will do the job just as well as a main dealer tech and you'll have an invoice to show it's been carried out by someone qualified.
But if you were to make a warranty claim for a part you fitted I think it would be rejected.

I'd like to know MB's opinion :devil:

With previous experience, any part on your vehicle that is not supplied by the original manufacturer can void your warranty.

Thanks everyone: great to have a panoply of opinions, especially from those who have experience in such matters.

I suppose I was thinking about it, because why pay more for the same thing if someone equally competent (or me) can do the same job for less money... I think I’ll stick to MB franchises to be safe.

EU Block Exemption regulations still apply in the UK. A car manufacturer cannot reject a warranty claim as long as the vehicle was serviced by a competent garage using genuine parts and to the manufacturer's service schedule. It's the law...

That's why I suggested that it needs to be done by a proper garage as opposed to DIY (unless you are able to prove that you are a qualified car mechanic).

In the US, BTW, the law is even more lenient in favour of consumers, the parts do not have to be genuine parts but just of 'sufficient quality', so it's down to the car manufacturer to prove that the (say) TRW or Delphi filter your garage was using is inferior to theirs, if they want to reject a warranty claim. But in the EU (and, for the time being, UK), it is limited to using genuine parts.

See also:

"Under EU Block Exemption legislation, which has been around for many years now, a manufacturer cannot force a buyer to have their car serviced by their official dealership network, and cannot refuse to honour a new car warranty simply because a car has been serviced elsewhere. However, a manufacturer does have the right to set a servicing schedule which must be adhered to."

That said... many on here (myself included) have the scheduled servicing done at the dealer under the Service Care Plan, and everything else (brakes, repairs, etc) done by a trusted indie using genuine MB parts.

Discs and pads are one of the simplest jobs a diy or indy can do.

If I knew discs and pads were needing changed, car was under warranty and needed to go in for a service I'd have an indy do them or do them myself before it went to the main dealer for the "warranty service".
Will then come back with a clean bill of health on the brakes. Well it did in my case(s). ;)

Furthermore... most indies can access the DSB and record the service, which means that as far as the dealer is concerned the car will show as having full service history, and in case of a warranty claim they won't quibble about the name of the garage as showing on the computer.

Are brakes recorded on the DSB or just service items?

Are brakes recorded on the DSB or just service items?

I asked this, and apparently, they can be, but many garages don't bother and only record scheduled servicing.

I suppose that this happens because the DBS is seen as a mean for maintaining the car's value (FSH) rather than as a practical tool to help keep track of maintenance in general.

"Under EU Block Exemption legislation, which has been around for many years now, a manufacturer cannot force a buyer to have their car serviced by their official dealership network, and cannot refuse to honour a new car warranty simply because a car has been serviced elsewhere. However, a manufacturer does have the right to set a servicing schedule which must be adhered to."

OP mentioned 'extended warranty'.

I think the OP needs to clarify the status of their 'extended warranty' so that there are no false assumptions about whether the block exemption does or does not apply.

Also if the OP has bought the car with a finance package where there is an agreed residual value of the car - then the small print no that may add its own restructions.

OP mentioned 'extended warranty'.

I think the OP needs to clarify the status of their 'extended warranty' so that there are no false assumptions about whether the block exemption does or does not apply.

Also if the OP has bought the car with a finance package where there is an agreed residual value of the car - then the small print no that may add its own restructions.

Thanks, I missed that bit.

Yes, if the extended warranty stipulates that the car must be serviced by an approved MB workshop... then so it must.

Just to clarify a few points raised:

1) I have the ‘official’ MB extended warranty (administered by Allianz, I think), so it’s not attached to any specific dealership. One of the conditions is maintaining the car as per MB service schedule, at MB franchised dealers.I’d have to check, but would the service ‘schedule’ include consumables..?

2) No finance: I own the car outright.

1) I have the ‘official’ MB extended warranty (administered by Allianz, I think), so it’s not attached to any specific dealership. One of the conditions is maintaining the car as per MB service schedule, at MB franchised dealers.I’d have to check, but would the service ‘schedule’ include consumables..?

Are you absolutely sure it says that you must service at a 'MB franchised dealer'?

Some policies only say that it must services *in accordance* with the manufacturer's schedule.

As regards 'consumables'. Items like brake pads and discs are not usually scheduled - but others such as brake fluid changes can be.

If in doubt ask the company issuing the warranty to clarify.

As above. 'Scheduled' means anything that needs to be done (or replaced) at certain intervals (time and/or mileage), and regardless of condition.

Brake pads, for example, are not included, because they are changed based on condition only and not at set intervals, and in theory, on a very low mileage car the discs and pads may never get replaced during the life of the car. The same applies to the exhaust/cats, v-belt, etc etc.

(And, incidentally, only the 'scheduled' items are covered by the MB Service Care Plan)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom