Replacing consumables outside MB dealer network

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are you absolutely sure it says that you must service at a 'MB franchised dealer'?

Some policies only say that it must services *in accordance* with the manufacturer's schedule.

As regards 'consumables'. Items like brake pads and discs are not usually scheduled - but others such as brake fluid changes can be.

If in doubt ask the company issuing the warranty to clarify.

Sounds right to me. I received a quote today for my 2017 C200 with 17k on the clock (£ 43 a month).

The terms state:

Servicing requirements for your Mercedes-Benz
The continued validity of your insurance is dependent upon you having the insured vehicle serviced by an authorised Mercedes-Benz Passenger Car Retailer in the UK in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications

I can't see any clause which says I have to have repair work done by an MB retailers so I assume I'm ok to have my car serviced by MB but I can use an indy IF they used genuine approved MB parts.

Sounds right to me. I received a quote today for my 2017 C200 with 17k on the clock (£ 43 a month).

The terms state:

Servicing requirements for your Mercedes-Benz
The continued validity of your insurance is dependent upon you having the insured vehicle serviced by an authorised Mercedes-Benz Passenger Car Retailer in the UK in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications

I can't see any clause which says I have to have repair work done by an MB retailers so I assume I'm ok to have my car serviced by MB but I can use an indy IF they used genuine approved MB parts.

You may be right, but personally if I had a car under extended warranty, which is essentiality just a financial product (insurance), then I wouldn't let anyone else touch it other than an 'Authorised MB Retailer'. With insurance companies, giving them an excuse to dispute a claim, just isn't a good idea. If you want the freedom of servicing or repairing the car elsewhere, then go for commercial mechanical breakdown warranty (not MB). My advice would be to not try and 'interpret' the small print in a 'favourable' way - either abide by it to the letter, or ditch it completely.

(As Dryce pointed-out, the situation was different when the car was still covered by the new car warranty, where your rights are protected under the Consumer Protection Act and EU Block Exemption etc).

Sounds like I’ll just have to bite the bullet and pay dealer prices... oh well, it’s only money... can’t take it with me etc etc

Sounds like I’ll just have to bite the bullet and pay dealer prices... oh well, it’s only money... can’t take it with me etc etc

Servicing costs are actually quite reasonable under an MB Service Care Plan.

Just hope that you won't need any brakes done (or DPF, cat, etc) during the warranty period.

Servicing costs are actually quite reasonable under an MB Service Care Plan.

Just hope that you won't need any brakes done (or DPF, cat, etc) during the warranty period.

£332 per service with the 20% discount: not bad at all.

Brakes have been going for just under 13k miles: I’m hoping they’ll last me until I move the C43 on (another 17k miles or so)...

Sense would suggest that as long as you issue OEM parts you should be fine but having seen the things Mercedes have wiggled out of over the years on this forum then I probably wouldn’t chance it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom