Replacing door pins on W166 ML & GLE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
I have been meaning to replace the door pins for five years and I have finally pulled my finger out to do the job.

I thought it would be a simple matter unscrewing the old ones (maybe with pliers) and then screwing on the new ones.

I’ve just read that there’s more involved with the the rears in the W166 ML & GLE - has anyone ever done it?

Well last time I changed car door pins you drifted them out with a punch and a hammer,so not good my input on your task.

Well last time I changed car door pins you drifted them out with a punch and a hammer,so not good my input on your task.
I’ll save that approach until last 😁

I’ll save that approach until last 😁
Do you mean pins that hold the door hinges in place or pins that pop up and down when the doors are locked/unlocked?

Do you mean pins that hold the door hinges in place or pins that pop up and down when the doors are locked/unlocked?
The pop up pins when the doors are locked and unlocked.

Why are they needing replaced Rob? Just cosmetic?

Yes, purely cosmetic Ant 👍🏻
Been meaning to do it for five years but got put off by the suggestion that the rears are tricky.

I finally got round to installing a dashcam today having bought it very close to 12 months ago, so maybe I’ll do this too now I’m on a roll!

I’m an absolutely nightmare for buying something and then never using or fitting it!

Bit late to the party here Rob but it should just be a case of wrapping them with a duster or something to prevent damage, then gripping them with pliers before twisting (unscrewing) them off.

If I remember correctly, the fronts are threaded, the rears just pull off and are glued back on. @Alps did a write up on their replacement somewhere but I can't find it at the moment. :(

Oh, and make sure the windows are fully open before you attempt what could be a dextrous manouevre, you know it makes sense. :D

what Dave said, there is a post somewhere on here.

Bit late to the party here Rob but it should just be a case of wrapping them with a duster or something to prevent damage, then gripping them with pliers before twisting (unscrewing) them off.

If I remember correctly, the fronts are threaded, the rears just pull off and are glued back on. @Alps did a write up on their replacement somewhere but I can't find it at the moment. :(

Oh, and make sure the windows are fully open before you attempt what could be a dextrous manouevre, you know it makes sense. :D
what Dave said, there is a post somewhere on here.
Thanks both. Much appreciated. Must remember to open those windows! Good tip on using a duster too 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom