Replacing fuel line into prefilter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Could someone please tell me what those white things on both ends of the pipe are?

Attachments

• Pipe.jpg
    Pipe.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 29
darkchild,

No offence, but you don't have a clue about cars do you?

Take your car to a good indie before you **** something up badly.

darkchild,

No offence, but you don't have a clue about cars do you?

Take your car to a good indie before you **** something up badly.

We all gotta start somewhere. Circumstances dictate I do the small jobs myself just now

If we all knew what we are doing the forum wouldnt exist or will die a death dont you think :D

You just need a screwdriver to move the clips in and out then you should be able to pull it off with the manifold in place.

Thanks chaps for the replies

Hope the less patient can bear with me and my ignorance but on tight budget as a post grad/mature student just now. We all gotta learn from scratch an i am learning about cars from this forum and really appreciate it

I did this job over the holiday without removing the manifold.
The connection to the fuel pre-filter did not have any white clips.
The connection is held in place by screw #50 and securing-plate #47.
The other end of the pipe uses the white plastic clip.

adding that with those later plastic clip fuel lines, you pull the white clip out to "lock it" and push it in to "release it". The clip basically clamps it against the metal.

I did this job over the holiday without removing the manifold.
The connection to the fuel pre-filter did not have any white clips.
The connection is held in place by screw #50 and securing-plate #47.
The other end of the pipe uses the white plastic clip.

Same here, the current one thats buggered on my motor doesnt have those white clips and thats what confused me

@ neilrr this is why some of us post, these little things which might be nothing to someone with experience can easily bamboozle newbies like me and we wont learn if we dont ask

This replacement is not-difficult.
It's just a question of getting the facts and then having the confidence to have a go.

Hi,

I changed the seala on those clear pipes this weekend just gone. It's not hard to remove the inlet but going back on is hard work.

You have a W210 with OM606 3 litre turbo diesel engine (1998 in my case) ?

To remove the inlet you need a T40 torx bit. Buy a decent make. I used a normal short bit and it was fine (3/8 size) I think it's 12 bolts and all easy to reach.

a 10mm 1/4 deep socket with a good 2 1/4 extension bars if you can remove the EGR clamp from above.

at least 4 1/4 extension bars if doing from under the car. It's tight and putting it back on it's a pita! Getting the EGR pipe into the EGR valve body is hard as someone needs to push it in while you locate the V clamp back on.

If you can do all these without removing the inlet then go for it! Make sure you replace the pre filter O ring too.

I made a quick video which shows what your be looking at but not how to do it!

Maybe of use?

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SVe35gzNjM

Hi,

I changed the seala on those clear pipes this weekend just gone. It's not hard to remove the inlet but going back on is hard work.

You have a W210 with OM606 3 litre turbo diesel engine (1998 in my case) ?

To remove the inlet you need a T40 torx bit. Buy a decent make. I used a normal short bit and it was fine (3/8 size) I think it's 12 bolts and all easy to reach.

a 10mm 1/4 deep socket with a good 2 1/4 extension bars if you can remove the EGR clamp from above.

at least 4 1/4 extension bars if doing from under the car. It's tight and putting it back on it's a pita! Getting the EGR pipe into the EGR valve body is hard as someone needs to push it in while you locate the V clamp back on.

If you can do all these without removing the inlet then go for it! Make sure you replace the pre filter O ring too.

I made a quick video which shows what your be looking at but not how to do it!

Maybe of use?

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SVe35gzNjM

Thanks mate. Mine is a w202 C250TD but this will help. Will certainly watch the video when i get home and thanks for uploading it :thumb:

I never knew there were 2 o rings on the prefilter and the housing and only got the one that goes on the prefiltet.

Anyone know what part number o ring 29 on diagram is please or its size

2dw94s6.jpg

How come the old pipe (dirty one in photos) fits perfectly into prefilter and tight fit yet the new one doesn't. ? The pipe fits perfectly and easily onto fuel preheater though.

The prefilter is out of ECP, could this be reason the Merc pipe wont fit? Notice ECP prefilter slightly different from one old one

attachment.php

attachment.php

Doesnt fit at all and leaves a gap
attachment.php

That's the wrong pipe

Should have added that even the shape of the pipe makes it obvious it's wrong .these pipes aren't designed so you can bend them to fit they are the exact shape and those two are totaly different.

Darkchild,

WTF are you doing here?

The dealer tells you what the part number is, you don't tell the dealer.

Just give them your VIN & let them get on with it. It's what they do all day long.

Last edited:
Dasrkchild,

WTF are you doing here?

The dealer tells you what the part number is, you don't tell the dealer.

Just give them your VIN & let them get on with it. It's what they do all day long.

mate last time I called mercedes edinburgh the person at end of phone quoted £56 wrongly and wasnt til I got the part number on the forum till got right price of £9.40 for the pipe

when I went in person had to explain what a pre filter o ring was to young lad at parts counter, he didnt even know c250td had prefilters and his words where "what part of the engine is that". My ordeal with newbridge mercedes is well documented. Even after pullin up diagram on his computer he still didnt know which was o ring

I have very iittle confidence in them sorry

Last edited:
Well no matter what faith you have or don't have with them . If you told them the part number for that hose you got it wrong it's the incorrect pipe .its obvious just looking at them in the pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom