Replacing just one tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyer

MB Enthusiast
Car
Ford Mustang GT
Hi guys, I had four new F1 GSD3's fitted last March at 77k. They all have plenty of tread left (at 90k), except for the near-side front, which has worn very badly on the outside edge:
DSCN2350.jpg

This is the off-side:
DSCN2351.jpg

Presumably, this is now illegal? I have an MOT this month, so need to get it sorted. Would there be any problem in just replacing the one tyre?

Bit miffed that it's gone like that and would love an explanation; the car has had a four-wheel alignment (twice!) at MB Preston (thanks to IBW), and the tyre pressures are correct. Could there be any other explanation for the abnormal tyre wear? Don't want the new one going the same way.

Cheers

Roundabouts and tight left hand turns is what caused the wear, possibly connected with too liberal use of the power steering.

The tyre isn't necessarily illegal, you only need 1.6mm across the centre 75% of tread width.

Of course you can replace just one tyre, try to pair it up with the next best one though for even rolling circumferance and resistance.

Of course you can replace just one tyre, try to pair it up with the next best one though for even rolling circumferance and resistance.

If you have an unused full-size spare you can put that and one new tyre on the car, and put the part-worn one in the back as the spare.

I'll be interested in if they are actually illegal. Similar has concerned me in the past. The trouble with the F1 GSD-3 design is those outside cuts are not full depth like the rest of the tread when new and they are graduated from deep to shallow from the outside in, hence it doesn't take much at all to wear the part you now see bald. Considering this is the tyre taking the pounding every roundabout it's not surprising.

There certainly has not been the 8mm of wear you would have to have to see that on the shoulder of a normal tread tyre.

I tend to replace as I don't fancy arguing my point to "PC I know best" at the side of the road and for 3 points it's not worth it.

Last edited:
Got the same on the insides of my 2 fronts, so let me know where you find the cheapest pace to buy them.

Also I thought the law regarding tyres also mentions no bald patches....IIRC

Ian

Dieselman, they're staggered (and directional), so can't change any around. Bill, they're 17" and the spare is 16", so can't do that either :)

Graham, interesting but still concerned how bad it's worn, in only 13k miles. Interesting that you both say it may not be illegal ... have to find a friendly police officer to check for me :D

Clearly, prefer not to spend £95.90*, but have to consider the safety aspects as well; does that tyre look dangerous to anyone?

* Ian: etyres (who fitted them last time) have 225/45R17Y F1 at £95.90 fitted.

Dieselman, they're staggered (and directional), so can't change any around. Bill, they're 17" and the spare is 16", so can't do that either :)

why not ? id do that just to pass the MOT

Flyer if you were closer i could have supplied as i just bought two yokohama's in the same size at just under £50 each for the sec!

DSCN2350.jpg

Both my front tyres were like this a couple of months ago and still managed to pass an MOT. Quite shocked really but still I decided to replace them soon as I could find a decent pair. I did see an 07 merc vito yesterday with after market wheels on and at least the near side tyre that I could see was exactly like the photo :eek: :eek:

why not ? id do that just to pass the MOT
What, put one 16" on and leave the 3 17"? "it does nae compute, captain" :D

Jay, £50, that's more like it! Although, would then have mis-matched tyres. Still, £50...

pluggers said:
Both my front tyres were like this a couple of months ago and still managed to pass an MOT.
Hmm, may just put it for one and see what happens. Doesn't expire until 6 September so have some time yet.

i would change both front ones as if you change one, you may find it pulls when braking and aceleration.

but as said before its the 75% of the middle that had to have legal tread!

unless you have metal threads showing! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom