Replacing key fob housing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldmerc

Car
05 S320CDI,96 E200
As per title has anybody transferd key fob circuit board into a new three button housing which can be purchased from E-Bay for less than £20 ?

I did this for my key fob about a month ago. There are some picture threads on here and this you tube vid may help
change benz key cover w211 to w212.MPG - YouTube

Be careful when you take out the board it is locked in place with a full width white nylon clip and some people have made a bent screwdriver tool to unclip the catch. As I knew mine was trashed I cut it free from the old case with some fine wire cutters.
I was disappointed in the action as the original Merc one has some plastic wire/springs under the buttons that make them feel "plump". It worked fine but I kept it as the new spare and used the second key I had as the everyday one as it was still like new. Maybe the £40 ones are more like the originals?
Don

I think all the replacement cases (I.e case alone) are aftermarket. I bought one and it's not bad, but not as good quality as the original. When I gave the seller a neutral rating for not making it clear that the case was aftermarket, he emailed and seemed to genuinely believe that all cases were non OEM.

That being the case I bought a 2nd hand key and transferred the case.

For those having a go at this but concerned about freeing up the old circuit board, I have found that a Sony car stereo removal key is absolutely perfect for the job, and fairly cheap to get hold of. It slides under the white plastic locking tab, and then latches into position to pull out the old circuit board.

I just use an old feeler guage blade to depress clip, panel slides right out, if its tight jewellers screwdriver and pry gently

You can buy from mb a empty case I have in the past and they are perfect

I did try to buy new housing from local Merc dealer but was told
"you cannot buy this part,only part number shows a complete fob assy"
The video on U-Tube appears not to show circuit board retaining clip being re-fitted ?
Many thanks for all replies.

You're not wrong - maybe the clip isn't needed on the newer key in that vid (W211 - W212).
Ive only done this on the all-black, 3 button key. And swapped the white retaining clip over into the replacement case.

If you really want a key housing from mb let me know I will drop a friend in mb a call for you see what I can do

Sounds like a good offer from HorganTrevor. If you buy a black OEM key off eBay, watch out for keys which have a picture of a van on the boot release button (Vito van key). I also bought one of these, as well as the non OEM case :wallbash:
You are welcome to either of my previous mistake purchases by the way, free.

Is the vito key up for grabs still Bo ??

Mine has abig dent in it and needs some TLC

Let me know if it is .

Thanks

Nick

Would like to say a big thanks for some kind offers from Bo Duke and Horgantrevor but i had already purchased housing from e bay and awaiting delivery.

Hi Nick - yes its still available if Oldmerc doesn't need it.

If you email me an address (not sure I can PM yet, less than 30 posts), I'll whack it in the post. Presume it'd be OK with a couple of 1st class stamps on (or have Royal Mail started getting creative with the pricing rules again)?

If you really want a key housing from mb let me know I will drop a friend in mb a call for you see what I can do

Hi Horgantrevor,

are you able to get the cover for this type of key. Mine is this type, but as my car is an estate it does not have the boot opening button?

Thanks Muchly Gladly Bo , it arrived this morning and is just what i was after .
Just need to watch the youtube clip on how to swap them over .

Dont forget if you need any electrical help just holler ,not vehicle mind LoL

Nick

An update on replacing housing.
I puchased a repair kit for £25 off E-Bay comprising of housing and 3 micro switches.
Removal of circuit board from old housing was al little fiddly but exactly as instructions
from poster Donubenz.
On closer inspection of circuit board all of the micro switches appeared in good working order so popped board into new housing.
The action of the buttons does feel positive but agree with comments from Donubenz
"plumpness" is missing but i am more than happy with a fully working fob.

Nick - you are welcome - glad someone will get some use out of it.
And thanks for the offer of electrical advice - much appreciated :thumb:

Hi all, I recently changed the three button casing on my 2003 c class remote key .the key casing had become badly worn and stopped working . I transferred the circuit board and battery holder to the new casing ,which initially didn't work .Surprisingly after about a week it began working and now works fine on all three positions .

Any ideas on why changing the outer case should make the unit work again ,and why would it take a week to return to full function .

Tony g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom