Replacing lawnmower chassis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
I have a Honda GV100 lawnmower, which hasn't seen too much use, but sadly the body/chassis has rusted through where the cut-height adjuster sits, meaning it can only be used on the highest and lowest settings!

Seems such a shame to throw away a Honda engine with relatively little use, so I'm curious as to whether I should try and get hold of a replacement chassis, and transfer the engine and other good bits across.

It seems like a replacement COMPLETE Honda mower will be around £300 RRP.

Anyone done such a thing? Is it worth doing? If I need to buy a complete new mower, what should I do with the engine?

Either get it welded up or buy a new Honda with a resin base. They cost significantly more but are well worth it.

I bought a resin base model because the steel ones are well known for rusting through.

I know a bloke who mends welding equipment, and whilst he says he's a poor welder I reckon he could be up to the job of a short term fix. He's already fixed the grass collection basket once.

Sounds like the resin chassis is the way to go.

Sent some Honda dealers an email regarding a replacement chassis so I'll hopefully know tomorrow if it's possible and cost effective.

Sent five emails to Honda dealers on Wednesday - not one replied as yet.

Looks like I might have to phone.

Limped through 2009 with the Honda, but started looking around for a replacement. For just under £300 I could get a basic Honda, but my Dad mentioned that B&Q were doing a deal on cheapie petrol mowers a few weeks ago - all sold out before I got there though.

He spotted an advert in the press for FOCUS, with a £179 mower reduced to £119 along with a voucher taking it down to £99 over this past weekend. Baby D been unwell and into hospital (nothing too serious) and nightmare at work, meant I hadn't got one of these either - and the deal ended tonight.

Dad popped down and grabbed one though, literally as they closed!! Not unpacked it yet, but it looks like a bargain.

46cm width of cut
150cc power
55 litre removeable grass box
5 cutting heights
4 height adjustor

180168.jpg

More information: "Champion" Champion R484P Petrol Push Mower at Focus

Anyone got one like it, with feedback to share?

I've got a green one branded Power Base...had it 4 years and still going strong...oh and it cuts the grass nicely.

My father in law has a big 'professional' Honda for the main lawned areas and the cheapest one he could find - not dissimilar to the one I've got - for the smaller private lawn.

Both are left out under plastic sheet hidden in amongst the trees, and have been for 10 years - both start within three pulls each spring and on that basis have performed equally well despite the difference in price.

Let's hope I'm similarly impressed...

Iv owned,bought, sold & used many Honda engines over the years,& while i'm not saying they never have a fault, IMO they are the best small engines ,i wouldn't consider any other.
Take the engine off your old one & stick it on e-bay,or in your local paper,always people looking for engines.

i could do with a couple of honda engines, pm me some details please, thanks

Thanks for the info. £119 is a good price indeed. A colleague at work was saying he recently paid £80 for his old mower to be serviced.

Honda every time! Buy a resin chassis one. Apart from anything else you won't break your back trying to start it everytime you want to cut the grass. Worth every penny! the cheapo's will last a few seasons tops unless you are lucky! Good luck with getting spares for em too.

Honda every time! Buy a resin chassis one. Apart from anything else you won't break your back trying to start it everytime you want to cut the grass. Worth every penny! the cheapo's will last a few seasons tops unless you are lucky! Good luck with getting spares for em too.

I agree totally, albeit with some trepidation as my latest resin one has definitely been a friday afternoon mower.

I put the new bad boy together this evening. I've not added fluids yet though.

The instructions state that you must use SAE 30 oil but having done a little Googling it seems it's possible to use multi-grade oil, so I'm planning use some Shell Helix Ultra AG 5W-30 (fully synthetic oil) tomorrow night - probably worth as much as the mower!! :D

The instructions say that you must use fresh unleaded petrol no older than 30 days, and to buy fuel in batches that can be used in 30 days. Any views - is it really a requirement or can I use some left over from last season?

^ Its a lawn mower not a high octaine drag car, pour any old c...p in it, turn it on mow the lawn and sit back with a pint.

Sorry not much help.....

^ Its a lawn mower not a high octaine drag car, pour any old c...p in it, turn it on mow the lawn and sit back with a pint.

Sorry not much help.....

:D Maybe not but you made me laugh.

I fear the oil may be a little over specified, but I happen to have an unopened can in the garage that I won't use for anything else, and I don't have over-priced under-specified special "lawnmower" oil that retailers push - which means I won't have to spend any money.

I may take that approach further and siphon 0.5 a litre of V-Power out of the car!!

Started my mower the other month, hadn't touched it since last year. Didn't even check if there was fuel in it (guessed I'd left a bit in it).

Pumped the prime a few times, started after 2 or 3 pulls, now starts first time every time :D

I'd save the V-power for the C32 ;)

Will

^ Even better for me, My dad started it after it last been used last year.....

Took about 20 attempts to fire the beast up. Maybe its the Morrisons fuel we use :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom