Replacing my aerial W124 300te

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frank Pindock

Car
W124 E280 W124 E300TD 1992 Fiat Panda
I am looking for some advice before fitting my new aerial. I have bought the proper part from Mercedes, but It goes without saying that the loom has already been butchered by the previous owner. I have removed the broken non Mercedes aerial but cannot work out how the new Mercedes aerial is secured at the bottom. The old aerial was simply attached to a bracket with a small bolt. The new aerial has a moulded shape, but nowhere to attach a bolt. Am I missing a vital part? I hope that I have explained this clearly and that some one maybe has done this recently and can point me in the right direction. Many thanks.

Frank

There should be a bracket. Mine was a horsehoe shape with a leg on the bottom. You could easily fabricate something out of mecano type metal. Or try a breaker on ebay. My guess is you are best just fabricating something. It stops the mast moving which will allow the rubber seal to leak.

Hi Brucemillar,
The new aerial doesn't have any way of attaching a bracket, I am not able to screw anything into it. It has two moulded shapes (similar to the hot shoe on a camera)one on the left corner and the other on the right corner. Do you think the metal bracket just slides into this moulding? Thanks for the quick reply, it's really good knowing that there are people out there to help with these situations.

8998d1198334839-aerial-motor-part-w202-antenna-.jpg

If you know which antenna you have, see here… Hirschmann Car Communication ... click on your antenna in the list which will bring you to a .pdf of Installation Instructions.

What antenna model do you have?

Dec

Hi Brucemillar,
The new aerial doesn't have any way of attaching a bracket, I am not able to screw anything into it. It has two moulded shapes (similar to the hot shoe on a camera)one on the left corner and the other on the right corner. Do you think the metal bracket just slides into this moulding? Thanks for the quick reply, it's really good knowing that there are people out there to help with these situations.

Frank

Yes it does just slide in. So a bit of fettlin maybe required. Dec's post maybe will be of more help if you need the exact part. I have to say mine looked like it had been bent about a fair bit. I think people would do that to adjust the rake angle.

Hi Dec and Brucemillar,

Firstly, many thanks for your help, it is much appreciated. The aerial I have is the Hirschmann AUTA 6000 KE-F 470 it is very similar/ identical to the picture Dec has attached, but I do not have the pointed plastic parts on the bottom left and right. I will look to see if I can find the installation instructions on the web site. Once again many thanks.

Brucemillar, Dec,

I have found the correct PDF, I do not have the metal bracket, which slides in and appears to lock to the bottom corner. The fitting instructions provided suggest that there is a plastic block which attaches to the bracket which then slides into the hot shoe type fitting. This block is shown as being screwed to the metal bracket. Non of this is included with the aerial..the PDF just shows the metal bracket sliding into the hot shoe arrangement and no screw. I think I will fabricate something to fit from what I have seen....... Thanks for the help, nice to get this sort of thing right!

Brucemillar, Dec,

I have found the correct PDF, I do not have the metal bracket, which slides in and appears to lock to the bottom corner. The fitting instructions provided suggest that there is a plastic block which attaches to the bracket which then slides into the hot shoe type fitting. This block is shown as being screwed to the metal bracket. Non of this is included with the aerial..the PDF just shows the metal bracket sliding into the hot shoe arrangement and no screw. I think I will fabricate something to fit from what I have seen....... Thanks for the help, nice to get this sort of thing right!

Frank

Good luck. It does not need any real strength as it really just supporting it enough to stop it flapping around. I had similar issues with mine. I did cheat and bought a universal aerial off ebay. After my good lady managed to rip off two masts both in overhanging branches. We live in he country with single track lanes. I still have both motors - the masts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom