replacing rusty wings...cost?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

niceguy2702

hi all, i have a '96 e280 with terrible rust on the front wings. had 1 of these mobile ppl come round and do the nessecary but its all come back. i think the only real solution to this is to replace the wings. does anyone have an idea of what kind of cost this could be and if anyone knows any good places in the n/west (manchester) that could do it? or even better...any other cheaper solutins..im no mechanic or car buff...so not really sure to what extent the rust can be til u cant repair it..many thanks...niceguy

Rust on the front wings is a common problem on W124s and the only real answer is replacement wings as it's come through from the inside.

Price from Stealers £150 each so I was informed last week. Price from German Sweedish £25. Bite the bullet and get OEM, no fettling after and better quality metal ie thicker.

niceguy2702 said:
hi all, i have a '96 e280 with terrible rust on the front wings. had 1 of these mobile ppl come round and do the nessecary but its all come back. i think the only real solution to this is to replace the wings. does anyone have an idea of what kind of cost this could be and if anyone knows any good places in the n/west (manchester) that could do it? or even better...any other cheaper solutins..im no mechanic or car buff...so not really sure to what extent the rust can be til u cant repair it..many thanks...niceguy

I am pleased to see that you have decided to replace the wings.

Filling holes with fibre glass can only ever be a short term remedy. It invaribly returns and you then start the circle of repair all over again.

You can buy genuine Mercede-Benz parts, or the cheaper replica. The geniune part should fit so much easier, require less labour in getting it to fit and perhaps be of a better quality.

If you take a pride in the car then the spraying should be done by a bodyshop with a bake oven and a good reputation. I would personally find out where your local Mercedes-Benz dealer gets there bodywork repairs carried out and go there. You want a quality job, for a quality car, prices should not be excessive.

Good luck,
John

Stealers prices for spraying............£300 per panel. Find a GOOD sprayer and the price drops to around £100 - 150 per panel. Tip, before getting the panel sprayed fit it first to see if it fits well. Easier to fettle before spraying and no damage to paint. OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer to answer your question.

so...spose were talkin around £700 for the lot...panels sprayed fitted etc.....not to bad i spose....the dvd will have to wait now...lol....so should i purchase the wings 1st then take them to the body shop...think that would be a better idea?

If you are in Manchester? Give me a shout and I will fit then for you, not too far from Preston.

Now there's an offer not to be refused!

What a nice gesture! :)

Will

thats great ian.......it will be in a cple of months time as gotta save up to do it 1st....so if i get the panels and have them painted u can do the rest?...shall i contact you nearer the time see if your available?

niceguy2702 said:
thats great ian.......it will be in a cple of months time as gotta save up to do it 1st....so if i get the panels and have them painted u can do the rest?...shall i contact you nearer the time see if your available?
Not a problem mate. Will send by pm my phone number

glojo said:
You can buy genuine Mercede-Benz parts, or the cheaper replica. The geniune part should fit so much easier, require less labour in getting it to fit and perhaps be of a better quality.
Unfortunately, for Mercedes bodywork parts, especially with more recent mercedes, this just isn't true at all. The genuine parts are of lesser quality (thinner material), and in general you get charged more to fit them because people can smell money a mile off ("he wants genuine parts, sure, we'll charge him more"). A good quality replica panel is going to be cheaper, cheaper to fit, and will last longer.

glojo said:
If you take a pride in the car then the spraying should be done by a bodyshop with a bake oven and a good reputation. I would personally find out where your local Mercedes-Benz dealer gets there bodywork repairs carried out and go there. You want a quality job, for a quality car, prices should not be excessive.
Don't the mercedes dealers just go to the cheapest place they can find, not necessarily the best? Remember they have to make money on the repair - and the less they pay for the work, the more they make. Find a good quality bodyshop, hell yeah, but not the one your merc dealer uses unless you have independant verification of quality :)

I'm yet to find a decent dealer :S Although I hear they *do* exist..

-simon

My friend owns a body shop and he insists that Euro Car parts/ German and Swedish panles are a pain to fit exactly. He says it often ends up costing more in labour to fit a new non OEM wing as it takes ages to line up properly and says fitment is never 100%. Considering he has been doing it for the last 24 years i would like to think he has a point. He would never replace any of his own Mercedes panels or any of mine with non MB parts.
I always use independant body shops for any painting i need as i'm really fussy and the jobs got to be 100% spot on.

also as far as i wass aware they would need the car and the wings so when they paint the wings they will need to blend the paint into the bonnet and front doors to ensure a full colour match.
£600-700 sounds about right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom