Replacing sound insulation on sump cover of 124 Diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
09 E320 cdi Sport Estate, 98 E300TD Estate, 99 SL 500
Hi

Has anyone renewed the sound insulation on the noise encapsulation of a 124 Diesel. Seem to remember a post somewhere about someone using camping mat or whatever but cant find it.

Has anyone done it and been successful??

Thanks,

It was in the gazette sometime ago, and yes, they replaced it with a roll of camping mat. I can't personally see it making much of a difference, as the undertray doesn't fully encapsulate the engine bay. If you want to get rid of the 'clickety clack', it's a replacement of the hydraulic tappets. They can run quite happily in clickety clack mode for 300,000+ miles, no problems.

Hi

Not looking to get rid of any unknown noise just looking to make her even more quiet. Tappets were done about 4/5 years ago, all 12 of them and made a huge difference. I tried replacing 1 then 2 then just got the remaining 10 and replaced them all. Now she is like a mouse chewing paper:bannana:

Thanks,

I had a lot of success adding soundproofing to the door skins, rear quarter trims over the rear arches and the panel above the suspension spheres

If you wanted to do more you could do the floor pan with Sludge and add some bitumen mats to the firewall. Not easy to do, though

Nick Froome

You can buy sound proofing material suitable for engine bays from Woolies Trim. They also sell heat resistant glue for attaching it. I can't remember how much I paid for it but it was quite cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom