Replacing stock air vents in a S205/W205 with "turbine" type - with ambient lighting????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,
My car already has this as standard 3 colour ambient, although they are noted to bee not very bright:-(

I also have them in the doors and foot wells of the car :)

I think I i can replace the emitters with aftermarket ones to bring the brightness up.

Cheers

The strip in the mod enhances the existing dull light....there is no need to remove anything when this mod is done...it simply tucks around the centre console edge. It makes a big difference to the existing ambient light brightness around the console.

Oh, I just had a look at eBay - that’s an additional thing for the Ambient around the console - might take a look at it so. Thanks Vijilants
Edit.
Wow, thats so simple - is it really that dramatic an effect? I think I’ll look into that for mine.

Last edited:
Oh, I just had a look at eBay - that’s an additional thing for the Ambient around the console - might take a look at it so. Thanks Vijilants
Edit.
Wow, thats so simple - is it really that dramatic an effect? I think I’ll look into that for mine.

Yep.....it does give a significant boost to the ambient light around the console which is usually very dim. Cheap mod, soo easy to fit and well worth it.

Yep.....it does give a significant boost to the ambient light around the console which is usually very dim. Cheap mod, soo easy to fit and well worth it.
That's a good price too from ebay. I bought one from aliexpress and fitted it to my c300 a few weeks ago. I paid nearly £50 though. I took it out before I sold the car. Easy fit but the instructions I got from China were useless. It did made a big difference as mine didn't have any ambient lights in before that.

Hi DC99. The car is looking fantastic ;).

I have a C63 W205 which came with 3 colour ambient light option from factory. I recently bought a 3 to 64 colour kit from eBay. It came with 4 door harnesses, one central AML control box for the centre console 64 LEDs, footwell lights and all seven AC vents.

Side question: What is the purpose of the wire in the bottom right of this picture?
s-l1600.jpg

I have spent nearly 40 hours on trying to make this kit. After a lot of research and trials, I have not been able to get even a single one of them to show any colour. Did I mention this is my first DIY 😭. What was I thinking.

From your posts I have gathered that my kit is the same as yours. It is not just the kit, even my problems seem to be similar in nature.

On my car, the CAN row on the passenger side, with the black connectors and brown wires is full. I am gonna take queue from you and look under the carpet on the driver side. Hopefully I will find an empty slot to plug the main ambient light control module. However, this will partially solve the issues I am facing in installing the complete upgrade :wallbash:

I have looked everywhere on the internet for the last few weeks but haven't found a solution to these problems. Please help 🙏

1. Do I plug the 12V fuse to any empty slot in the fuse box, which is on the passenger-side under the glove box?

My kit did not come with an adapter that can work as a one-into-two fuse connector. After plugging the fuse, GND and the CAN plug (perhaps into the wrong slot on the passenger-side) none of the LED lights came on. My guess is that I plugged the fuse into the wrong slot. However, even after starting the engine none of the LEDs came on.

Can you please share a picture of which socket you used to plug in the fuse?

Am I right in assuming that the control box should display any random colour on the connected LEDs even if the CAN wire is not plugged into any slot on the CAN row? If this is true then I am probably have the fuse plugged into the wrong socket. If not then what could be the problem?

2. Also, the kit came with four door harnesses.
s-l1600 (2).jpg
I replaced the OEM LEDs in the door with the new ones. Connected them to the box and the wire coming out from the other end of the box, to the number 3 socket of the door module. The original plug which came out of slot 3 was connected to the female adapter of the new door harness. After I reconnected the battery, I could see the OEM LEDs were on, but the new ones didn't work!

Did you plug your door harnesses in slot 3 as well? and do they need the main control module to be fully connected for them to work? I thought the door module was a simple plug n play job :(.

3. Lastly, the housing of my OEM footwell lights cannot be opened. How do I replace the LED lights inside the original housing / frame? The footwell lights which came in my kit look like this. Do I slide them into the orignal footwell light slot using a double tape?
s-l1600 (5).jpg

Thank you for reading. I have been going mental trying to figure out how this kit works. You are my only hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom