replacing transmission sump gasket (torque setting help)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnny679

Car
mercedes c180 , 95 honda civic coupe turbo , Triumph Spitfire
Hi All ,
my transmission sump pan is leaking on my wifes 2002 MB 2.0litre petrol 5 speed auto , i believe the torque setting on the 6 bolts is 8nm my torque wrench only starts at 28nm ,would i be able to hand tight then slight nick up the bolt with a screw driver socket or has anyone got a better gauge of rule and with a empty sump is it roughly 6 litres.

regards
john

How confident are you you that you can judge what 8NM is?! However, as I recall the bolts on the 5G box are at least steel so whilst torque rating is important it is not critical unlike the 7G (alu stretch-type bolts).

5g box use stretch bolts, 8nms and its the Alloy they screw into you have to be careful of , they can strip the thread easy.

Don't over tighten or you will ruin the sump and cause leaks. I bought this about 10 years ago still going strong

You could buy a 1/4 drive torque wrench for £20.00 and save yourself the worry of wondering if the bolt's are tight enough, or is the sump pan gasket leaking.

There is a way to do away with the OEM sump pan gasket and fit a cork one with different bolts.
I've never done this though, always just replace the OEM gasket with a new one.

It's a bit of a knack doing the sump bolts up though, you get a feel for this and know when it is tight enough.
Unless you are handy with a wrench and have this knack I'd suggest buying one of the cheap torque wrenches.

thank you for all the replies , my screw fix arnt doing click and collect , i did have a torque wrench with the dial and needle but threw out long ago when i bought a spring one , the gasket is leaking , i lost drive a few weeks ago , so have bought a gasket kit and filter and fluid and whilst checking sump pan i noticed gasket was kinked where leak had occured , and when draining only 3 litres was in the sump.

sourced a torque wrench from halfords its for bike maintenance but torques from 2.5nm to 24nm for 40 quid . a job for tomorrow

If it helps anyone, these are very good and have a range of 7nm to 112nm.

I used it to do the spark plugs and throttle body. I got it for £32.

ok further update , leak sorted and fresh fluid now in , but on driving the car if im on a slight slope when placed in drive car now rolls back unless i apply a little throttle to increase the revs slightly then drive begins to engage does this sound terminal , it wouldnt be the conductor plate at fault that i hear can fail

ive got the level correct when cold but unable to get a proper reading on the hot level as ive no temp reader

would it not do damage if its something worse , ive seen a Lucas product for transmission slip do you know if anyone has had good results from using

ok further update , leak sorted and fresh fluid now in , but on driving the car if im on a slight slope when placed in drive car now rolls back unless i apply a little throttle to increase the revs slightly then drive begins to engage does this sound terminal , it wouldnt be the conductor plate at fault that i hear can fail

That is quite normal, even if the fluid level is good.

You check the ATF oil the right way before you go plonking snake oil in the auto box . Good run .Service brake , on set selector to P, withdraw the dip stick wipe with a lint free cloth .Re position dip stick in to tube ,withdraw dip stick check that the oil is right as it tells you in manual .And from cold it is near impossible to check .

i have the correct level now but on taking it for a test drive ,i have to increase revs lightly more to get it to pull away and gear change from 1st to 2nd is slightly jolting and EML came on throwing up a P0730 code , could this point to the conductor plate or something more serious or would a additive help or worsen the fault

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom