Replacing tyres on a lease car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T800

Car
W177 / A180 AMG Line Executive
Has anyone had any experience in leasing companies being difficult over tyres that you’ve replaced before handing the car back?

I have a W177 A180 AMG Line on a three year lease, which is due up in january. My two front tyres are going to need replacing soon but I don’t particularly want to be spending a fortune when I’ll get less than 6 months out of them. My plan was to stick some budgets on in time for handing it back, however I’ve read that it has to be a like for like swap and that budgets won’t be accepted. Don’t want to be getting stung for two new tyres when they take the car back. The company who I’m leasing from say on their website that it should be replaced with a premium brand such as Michelin, Pirelli, etc. Which is funny considering they came out of the factory with Hankooks fitted!!

I’ve now found two decent part worns locally that will see me through. Only one is a Hankook and the other is a Goodyear (which is on their approved list). I’m happy with the price but need to check the speed rating is the same before I commit.

I’m just not sure what I’m better off doing - go for budgets or grab a few part worns and hope they aren’t bothered that it’s mix and match.

I’m just a bit weary as I’ve never had a lease car before now so wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences.

They go over the car with a fine toothcomb, so they will check the tyres. On one of my returns the guy spotted an almost invisible mark, that I had not noticed & I am very fussy. Looked like someone had brushed past it with a handbag or such like. Had to look at it at a certain angle to see it, but that's their job so will spot everything. Its checked on a points system & there is a small allowance. As it was the only thing they found I was not charged for it.
Lots of people thing as its leased, quick wash & they take it away, not so. The check took a fair amount of time & it was picked up the next day by someone else. Make sure handbook, all keys & any relevant paperwork is there.

Not good to put mixed across an axel. stop being a cheapskate. :p

You already answered the question that it needs to be like for like.
As above.

Regardless of how the lease company will react what about your safety and that of others in the next 6 months?

Buy the Hankook tyres that were fitted. You have coped with them so far and they cannot argue with like for like replacement.

Hankook are generally good value and are good tyres.

Brand new is the only sensible option.

As previously mentioned buy like for like tyre's.
Stop trying to save £50 as for mix match part worns Never ,just because its not yours you still have yourself and probably family in it 🙄

It will cost you a lot more if they don’t accept the tyres you put on!

They will charge you a fortune.

I seem to remember that the major European manufacturers are duty (legally?) bound to use the tyres from major tyre manufacturers on their cars in the proportions roughly equal with their market share.

So the manufacturers have a range of tyres.
My wife's recent 2016 Golf diseasel came with Michelin Pilot Sport from factory.
Then we traded it in for an exact 2016 spec match except for petrol, and they came with Hankooks (very low mileage, so we expect the original tyres).

A quick look round dealerships will show the same thing.

Hankooks are one of the cheaper 'premium' brands (I say this based only on what manufacturers are actually fitting, and not what might be judged as premium), so just chuck some more of those on.
Think yourself luck that it hasn't got the Pilot Sport on, which are at the pricier end.

For those that actually helped, thank you.
Everyone helped and everyone gave you very good advice.

What was shocking was the need to ask the question.

Why was it shocking? It was a simple question. Not everyone knows the ins and outs of tyres and sites like this are the ideal place to find out. I appreciate the feedback but being called a cheapskate isn’t really my idea of good advice, considering none of you know my circumstances. Thanks for the help.

Why was it shocking? It was a simple question. Not everyone knows the ins and outs of tyres and sites like this are the ideal place to find out. I appreciate the feedback but being called a cheapskate isn’t really my idea of good advice, considering none of you know my circumstances. Thanks for the help.

Hi , as previously said just put on some the same OE tyres that the car came on.

You asked the very same question on the A Class forum & received several responses. Buy decent premium tyres and save yourself any hassle.

You asked the very same question on the A Class forum & received several responses. Buy decent premium tyres and save yourself any hassle.
Yea Dave you’re right, I did ask the same question on that forum and got one response. Despite my tongue in cheek reply, it wasn’t a very helpful remark was it? Hence coming here to seek seek further help. Well done for noticing that I’m on both forums though.

I’m just a bit weary as I’ve never had a lease car before now so wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences.
As others have said, the inspection process when you hand the car back will be surgical in nature and very similar to a PCP hand back - which i've done a number of times. The guy who picked up my last PCP car (an Audi A6 Avant) even showed me the checklist items he had to go through as he was doing it.

Everything from wheels and tyres to interior and paint damage, all the way down to if the battery in the second key fob worked - which it didn't, so I had to quickly replace it otherwise he would have been forced to put them down as 'non-functional' and I would have been charged (yes really).

You should bite the bullet and put the OEM spec or equivalent tyres on, no point in going cheap - if you do the lease company will just see that as an excuse to rubber-stamp the bit that says 'Charge for 4x new tyres'.......

As others have said, the inspection process when you hand the car back will be surgical in nature and very similar to a PCP hand back - which i've done a number of times. The guy who picked up my last PCP car (an Audi A6 Avant) even showed me the checklist items he had to go through as he was doing it.

Everything from wheels and tyres to interior and paint damage, all the way down to if the battery in the second key fob worked - which it didn't, so I had to quickly replace it otherwise he would have been forced to put them down as 'non-functional' and I would have been charged (yes really).

You should bite the bullet and put the OEM spec or equivalent tyres on, no point in going cheap - if you do the lease company will just see that as an excuse to rubber-stamp the bit that says 'Charge for 4x new tyres'.......
Thanks for the advice, just what I was looking for thanks.

I’ve seen this on other forums, poster posts thread, expecting to hear what they would like to hear, but gets the opposite, and then says some members are not helpful.

In my eyes, when one post a thread, don’t expect to hear what you want to hear, it’s the nature of forums and people, we all have different views, so expect varied responses.

I’ve seen this on other forums, poster posts thread, expecting to hear what they would like to hear, but gets the opposite, and then says some members are not helpful.

In my eyes, when one post a thread, don’t expect to hear what you want to hear, it’s the nature of forums and people, we all have different views, so expect varied responses.
So being called a cheapskate is helpful in your opinion? I only came for a bit of advice.

So being called a cheapskate is helpful in your opinion? I only came for a bit of advice.
He did say it with a 😛, so it was a light hearted no offence comment, bit of forum banter.

He did say it with a 😛, so it was a light hearted no offence comment, bit of forum banter.
I must be over sensitive then.

Anyway I’ve got the advice that I needed so thanks to all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom