Replacing Vito 639 tyres - advice, please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeorgeCaveney

Car
2006 Vito
Howdi!

I have a slow puncture on the rear n/s and the others are looking a bit worn, so I think I'm going to replace all four.
It's a Vito 639 panel van and rarely has any significant load.

I notice the current tyres are different on the front to the rear, and wondering if there's any wisdom to this - or whether the previous owner simply replaced two instead of four and opted for a different brand on cost.

225/50/r17 - any recommendations?

For insurance and MOT you should follow the load rating detailed in the handbook.
The insurance might even take note of tyre sizes not detailed in the handbook.
That will likely mean a harder ride than you might get otherwise.

I have the Michelin Agilis and find than about as quiet as you will get. I fitted the 205 / 75 / 16 -110 / 108. That is a 6% greater rolling circumference. My thoughts were to increase the pneumatic suspension element and reduce the revs when cruising. After 1,000's of miles of monitoring the wear I am inflating to 36 / 37psi, I rarely load up also.

The tyre size you mention will increase consumption due to rolling resistance. Otherwise the outcome looks similar.

Thank you m80. The van is for short local trips and the occasional trip further afield. It's not a commuter or working van so mileage is low.
Do you advise same front and rear?

I notice the current tyres are different on the front to the rear, and wondering if there's any wisdom to this - or whether the previous owner simply replaced two instead of four and opted for a different brand on cost.

Almost certainly down to cost or even just availability - it's rare for the fronts & rears to wear at the same rate, so replacing two is quite common. W639s often wear the outside edge of the front tyres, which can reduce their lifespan. I've stuck with Continental Vanco tyres all round on ours (original factory fit) as I've always been happy with the handling/wet grip/dry grip, but there are few genuinely 'bad' tyres nowadays. As m80 said you should fit tyres with the correct load rating though (based on the van's maximum gross weight).

I don't think 225/50 R17 is the right size BTW. Our 2007 has 225/55 R17, as per the data plate inside the filler flap.

Good to know re size - thank you.
Will peruse the options and try to do something sensible!

Yep, same size all round.
You remind me to get a spare tyre the same size as my others, or I'll be limping home very slowly if a get a puncture.

I guess wear might be down to set up some, I would have expected the same wear style as described by BTB 500, but across 3 of these, a 2007 115, a 209 3.0 Viano and this 2006 115 I've found the inner edges wear a little more. For some reason I'm seeing that the n/s tyres are wearing a fair bit more than the o/s.

The Agilis have so far covered nearly 23k miles (across 2 vehicles, as the wheels stayed with me), they look to have another 20k miles, although I have found that as tyres get lower they seem to wear faster, and more unevenly.

I did find that Khumos I fitted some years ago were false economy. Paying more saved me loads.

I've used Falken tyres on other vehicles and thought they were great mid-range. Not sure they're the best for a compact van, though.
Thanks for all the info and advice - I'm in good hands!

I've switched between Kuhmo & Nexen on my Vito and run 102 rated tyres

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom