Replacing w202 with 190e?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob321

Car
Mercedes w202 c200
Hi all I have a w202 c200 auto vgc and 80,000 miles, I,ve been offered a one family owned 70,000 miles 190e auto fish lady owner retired driving, I,m going to look at the car soon I just wondered if anyone could advise me on the differences I,ll notice if it’s worth changing or stick to my w202 thanks in advance.

Different engine, different front suspension, W202 bigger inside- 190 the better handling car-- what age is the 190?

Didn't the W202 eventually get a 5 speed auto vs 4 speed (effectively only 3speed ) on the 190e. That difference alone would make me prefer the W202.

I remember when my mum went from a 190e 2.6 to a W202 230 kompressor. The quality of the 202 was so poor compared to the 190. It felt “light”. Not often I disagree with Grober but , the 202 drove and felt much more modern. If you like quality you’ll love the 190.

I wasn't expressing a preference for either model really. The reason I asked the date for the 190 was the engine timing gear was strengthened to a duplex timing chain before 1990. The 190 was designed in the W123 and W126 ERA and was meant to combat the growing popularity of the smaller BMW saloons hence the sporting emphasis. The W202 had a greater emphasis on comfort which makes it a different car although it was the 190 replacement. The only way to judge which you prefer is to drive both and compare them.

You wont half miss the comfort, I've driven a few 190s to Scotland and back and the seats are like wood after a while, nice car but oh so uncomfortable. :dk:

My 190E wasn't at all uncomfortable, even though it had the Sportline lowered suspension. Seats were lounge-like with the big comfy central armrest and mine also had cruise control, which really did give it the mini-limo feel.

It all depends on how each one has been maintained and cared for, but, all other things being equal, I would personally have a 190 any day.

If you decided against it, please could you put the lady in touch with me?

PS The 1991 model had the duplex, so the engine should be sound.

You won't find the W202 seats all that comfortable either. When I had me w202 1999 C230K Spor tI stripped down the driver's seat to replace the thin horsehair matting thinking it would help ..... just about all there is in the way of padding between yourself and the spring. Awful seats.

Last edited:
You won't find the W202 seats all that comfortable either. Whene I had me w202 I stripped down the drivers seat to replace the thin horsehair matting thinking it would help ..... just about all there is in the way of padding between yourself and the spring. Awful seats.
I’m thinking that we’re all different.
I drive our 1997 C Class to Skiathos over 4 days and felt no discomfort whatsoever.

The ones I drove were '90/91 and the seats were hard and flat,

As with any old car make your decision based on condition. You say your W202 is in vgc so why replace it with a car of unknown condition. W201's start at about 3 grand for an average example and double that for a good one. Great cars but like others have said they are not spacious inside but can accomodate a 6 footer ok. Suspension wise they ride very well on our rubbish roads and if the seats are not worn or have collapsed springs i find my 190d comfy but not as comfy as my s210. W201's have to have the center arm rest btw to make them comfortable when driving, they were a very common option but just makes sure your new purchase has one.

Can you not have both? A w201 and a w202 is the start of a nice collection. :thumb:

Last edited:
The seating in the 190 changed with the 88 to 89 interior facelift. The seats which were previously sprung steel were redesigned and changed to foam construction like the W124. The long-running 190 underwent many unseen changes during its life. OLDER CARS seats will reflect usage and often bear no resemblance to their original performance/comfort?

Last edited:
The seating in the 190 changed with the 88 to 89 interior facelift.

I owned a facelift 190e for 21 years. The seats were indeed very comfortable and remained so for that whole period. During my ownership of the 190e I also drove a facelift 5 speed auto W202 for an extended period. The W202 lacked some of the carved from granite build quality but it was a much nicer drive. As I've already mentioned I think a 5 speed auto W202 blows the 190e out of the water. Let me explain why in more detail.

The 190e had a 4 speed auto box but 1st was so low it that it was only ever engaged on full bore starts otherwise the car pulled away in 2nd. Without exaggeration I could count on my fingers how many times 1st was used. So that realistically made it a 3 speed auto with a low 20mph/1000 rpm top gear and a relatively busy engine on the motorway. The 5 speed manual 190e was more realistically geared at 25mph/1000 rpm. The autobox never failed me but it dated the190e even when it was new as no contemporary car used a 3 speed auto.

The 5 speed C200 W202 was geared at 25.9 mph/1000 rpm providing noticeably better refinement and economy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom