Replacing W204 C-Class daytime running light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CornwallJon

Car
C220
The good old Spring health check has noticed that one of my daytime running lights has a hole in it. Does anyone know if a total amateur can purchase and replace this quite cheaply/straightforwardly? No doubt MB will be seeking upwards of £500.00.

Be more specific, Pre/post facelift, sport/other, LED etc.

Seeing as you mention daytime running light, I'll assume it's a facelift

Two screws will undo it (I think it's just two) simply slot it out from the holders, unplug it, plug new one in, slide it back into the holders. Bish bash bosh :thumb:

Buy second hand if you can. What side is it? I may know someone with a spare

Hi, thanks for your replies. It's a 2013 AMG Sport, drivers' side. Happy to look at s/h unit if anyone has one!

Just the light, no chrome or grille retails at about £120 at a dealer, might find something on ebay around £80.

CHeers - picked up the whole assembly including light, grille and chrome from a 2011 car for £117 inc postage...now just hope it fits...

CornwallJon said:
CHeers - picked up the whole assembly including light, grille and chrome from a 2011 car for £117 inc postage...now just hope it fits...

That's a steal of a price, very jammy. Providing the 2011 car was a sport, it'll fit. Unless you've bought an SE version. SE version has a small oval extension on the bottom of the assembly, Sport version is long and wide with no extension

This is the one. Hope it's right....!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-05-31 08.21.54.jpg
    Screenshot 2016-05-31 08.21.54.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 68
CornwallJon said:
This is the one. Hope it's right....!

Yeah that looks like a sport one :thumb:

Providing you have a sport, it's the one

For all of you out there that are worried about the cost of these I have just bought one and fitted it tp my 2013 C220. I bought it from a company in Berlin, Autodoc.eu, for £21 + VAT.

It is made in Taiwan (the original was made in Slovakia) however it's a good match and works fine.

With regard to removing the old unit I found this to be a real pain to fiigure-out , however now that I know how to do it I will share the process with you.

There is a small triangular plastic flap under the front of the car next to the belly pan and near the wheel arch, this has 1 x 8mm bolt securing it. Remove this bolt pull the flap down and push it to one side. You will now be able to see the back of the light and one of the four plastic clips that secure it. Do not bother trying to pull or push the clips in order to remove the light as no amount of force will work. Simply use a short stout knife (about 70mm long) and insert the blade into the clip surround then using leverage break the clip (note that I refer to the clip on the light rather than the surrounding Bumper mounting plate). This is relatively easy for the one that you can see however in the case of the other three you have to rely upon your sense of touch. Once you have done this the light can be removed from under the car. The next thing that you have to do is to unpluge the electrical connector. In order to achive this you have to unclip the grey retainer and pull it away from the light, the connector can then be removed. When you come to fit the new light be careful to align the plastic tags that clip onto the light fitting. Hey presto your done!

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I broke the lens on my 2013 C220 AMG Sport + near side drl yesterday and I am trying to source a replacement. The link above to autodoc.eu defaults to a .co.uk address where I cannot find a replacement DRL.

Could you provide a link to the page on which the DRLs can be bought or anywhere else (other than main dealer) a replacement might be acquired at reasonable cost.

Thanks

edit: Have found them on the .co.uk site but they seem to use generic pictures. Any idea which ones would fit the car? These look the same but list as only up to 11 model year http://www.autodoc.co.uk/prasco/7642836 these also look right but are listed as Elegance/Anantgarde rather than the sport/AMG Sport http://www.autodoc.co.uk/van-wezel/7152721

Can anyone advise which ones would fit? I tried the online chat but they weren't very helpful

Last edited:
Whitelighter said:
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I broke the lens on my 2013 C220 AMG Sport + near side drl yesterday and I am trying to source a replacement. The link above to autodoc.eu defaults to a .co.uk address where I cannot find a replacement DRL. Could you provide a link to the page on which the DRLs can be bought or anywhere else (other than main dealer) a replacement might be acquired at reasonable cost. Thanks edit: Have found them on the .co.uk site but they seem to use generic pictures. Any idea which ones would fit the car? These look the same but list as only up to 11 model year http://www.autodoc.co.uk/prasco/7642836 these also look right but are listed as Elegance/Anantgarde rather than the sport/AMG Sport http://www.autodoc.co.uk/van-wezel/7152721 Can anyone advise which ones would fit? I tried the online chat but they weren't very helpful

I know I haven't named what each is in my list, but these are the part numbers for each parts of the DRL's for your sport number~

DRL part numbers

Right side:
A2049069000
A2048853074R
A2048851453R

And for the left side:
A2049068900
A2048851353L
A2048852974L

For all of you out there that are worried about the cost of these I have just bought one and fitted it tp my 2013 C220. I bought it from a company in Berlin, Autodoc.eu, for £21 + VAT.

It is made in Taiwan (the original was made in Slovakia) however it's a good match and works fine.

With regard to removing the old unit I found this to be a real pain to fiigure-out , however now that I know how to do it I will share the process with you.

There is a small triangular plastic flap under the front of the car next to the belly pan and near the wheel arch, this has 1 x 8mm bolt securing it. Remove this bolt pull the flap down and push it to one side. You will now be able to see the back of the light and one of the four plastic clips that secure it. Do not bother trying to pull or push the clips in order to remove the light as no amount of force will work. Simply use a short stout knife (about 70mm long) and insert the blade into the clip surround then using leverage break the clip (note that I refer to the clip on the light rather than the surrounding Bumper mounting plate). This is relatively easy for the one that you can see however in the case of the other three you have to rely upon your sense of touch. Once you have done this the light can be removed from under the car. The next thing that you have to do is to unpluge the electrical connector. In order to achive this you have to unclip the grey retainer and pull it away from the light, the connector can then be removed. When you come to fit the new light be careful to align the plastic tags that clip onto the light fitting. Hey presto your done!

So I’m following the detailed advice from Inpulsive and get stuck at the breaking the clips part. So just about to engage in some tourets busting language when I thought what happens if I just remove the four screws on the front in the black plastic surround. To do this I needed a special 6 point screwdriver bit but luckily had one in cheap £5 Stanley mini socket set. Once removed I could easily remove retaining clips and electric wire from old drl and connect new one. Do up the the four screws and hey presto. The hardest part was re-fitting the flap underneath that I needn’t of touched in the first place

Robee has the best post of all about exchanging light bulbs unit.
Now in 11.2023 you can find it on eBay from £11 and 15 and 20 easily. Even £25 for the pair just the bulb units.
The post from Ash59fifty-uk with the ref. numbers helped me to make sure this cheap units were the right ones - for the C classe Sport -face lift version
2011 on.
Thank you guys for all the good info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom