Replacing W209 CLK Comand 2.0e with aftermarket head

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RetiredMan

Car
2012 C250 CDI Coupe & W209 CLK320 Convertible
When our 2003 CLK's Comand screen failed, I sent it to be repaired by Maple Audio. Unfortunately when it needed a further warranty repair, Hermes lost the parcel in transit, so I decided to fit a more up to date radio/GPS unit instead. I chose a Windows CE-based 7 inch touchscreen GPS/Bluetooth/DVD/USB/Radio from an Ebay supplier. I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to link it to the steering wheel controls but the aerial didn't receive power any longer so I needed a further solution. Even when power was restored, I couldn't get it to pick up our DAB add-on box signal. I Decided to fit an electric aerial in the the O/side rear wing, powered off the new radio. when I then linked in, a powered DAB splitter to this aerial, the DAB receiver's signal worked too. Finally, I ran the new head's speaker leads down to the existing door speakers' junctions under the sill covers in front of the doors and linked up the Bose base box in the centre rear console. I removed the redundant Multi-CD unit from the glove box.
It all works brilliantly now, with the Bose sound quality, good (iGo) sat-nav software, Bluetooth for our phones, DAB and FM radio, DVD/CD/USB coverage for other video and music support. It's better than our 2012 W204 Comand kit in our other car now!
If anyone wants details of how to do this conversion, let me know and I'll post the details and photos.

Hi,

This sounds the sort of thing I am looking into. I have a 2005 CLK 350 (W209), I couldn't tell you what the Command model is, but it has a 6 cd changer and no aux socket that I can find yet!

What I really want is to be able to run sat nav and play music via bluetooth from my Samsung phone (so Android OS).

Any pictures of. or links to, your project would be welcome :)

Thank you,
Tom

Also interested as have a C209 CLK.
My 6 cd changer is playing up again, and if I cannot build one good one out of the 2 I now have, I will need a new unit altogether.
For Monkeysavage, It took me a while to find my aux in. If you have one, it is likely to be in the glovebox, left hand side, and may look like a screw hole until further investigation.

Neil

did something like this a while back on my w209 320 cdi sport.
kept command , added Mosconi 4to6 digital proc and upgraded all speakers to gladden.
180 x 4 amp going to tweets/mid in doors & 2500 x 1 going to 15" sub in boot.
pic is pre 2500.1 amp (also kicker) this is 1750? I think ... I forget lol

Mp3/4 from phone/tablet is via Original Aux input in Glove compartment. - original Bluetooth prewire for phone. all working with cluster as is still with the original command.... so if your command aint knackered ... there are other choices.

28v7qcg.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom