Replacing W211 Sidelights with LEDs - recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

izools

Car
W211 E55 AMG
I'd like to replace the sidelight bulbs in my 2003 W211 E55 with LEDs that have a similar cold-white hue to the HID dipped / main beam lights.

Can you recommend any which are a good colour match and won't upset the CANBUS (which can mistake LED bulbs as blown if they don't contain a bypass resistor or similar)?

Thanks in advance :thumb:

Forum admin @KillerHERTZ has some expertise in this area and also used to be able to supply good-quality error-free CANBUS-compatible LED bulbs (not sure if he still does, though).

I haven't done for 7 years now I'm afraid.

you need W2W / 501 - ideally CREE LEDs, don't go for cheap, buy the expensive ones as they will be white and not that awful purply colour.

Make sure they have the CANBUS cancelling function.

I haven't done for 7 years now I'm afraid....

Thanks - has it been that long? :rolleyes: Where did the time go.... :(

I'll make a note of that for future reference :thumb:

Search for 501 , W5W ;), T10 LED .

Yeah, I know the bulb fitment - the issue I have is that the market is utterly littered with poor quality LEDs, and LEDs that throw errors on the dash about the light being faulty, with the ECU pulsing the light and not lighting it continually.

I was hoping there might be some experience with a specific brand or retailer known to sell high quality, reliable LEDs which don't throw an error.

I've found in the past that all the LEDs Halfords sell, throw an error. When used in my old CL203 they don't even light continually because the car is convinced there's no load on the circuit at all and pulses the power.

I haven't done for 7 years now I'm afraid.

you need W2W / 501 - ideally CREE LEDs, don't go for cheap, buy the expensive ones as they will be white and not that awful purply colour.

Make sure they have the CANBUS cancelling function.

Okay, I'll give these a punt then I guess, the retailer seem to know what they're talking about when it comes to ensuring no CANBUS errors

Thanks for the input :thumb:

Last edited:
I replaced the 4 at the front of my W204 with some Aglint branded ones last year, so far only one has stopped working. Colour matches the LED dipped beam bulb's I'm using.

Yeah, I know the bulb fitment - the issue I have is that the market is utterly littered with poor quality LEDs, and LEDs that throw errors on the dash about the light being faulty, with the ECU pulsing the light and not lighting it continually.

I was hoping there might be some experience with a specific brand or retailer known to sell high quality, reliable LEDs which don't throw an error.

I've found in the past that all the LEDs Halfords sell, throw an error. When used in my old CL203 they don't even light continually because the car is convinced there's no load on the circuit at all and pulses the power.

Okay, I'll give these a punt then I guess, the retailer seem to know what they're talking about when it comes to ensuring no CANBUS errors

Thanks for the input :thumb:
Going for these too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom