Replacing W212 sway/anti-roll bar bushes... as easy as it looks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TeddyRuxpin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2x E350 CDI Sport W212s... for a bit
Hi,

Has anyone swapped these out? It looks like just a few bolts, very simple, just remove the under tray and they're right there staring at you. The replacements come with the brackets and bolts, seems straightforward?

However, when I changed this on a mk4 Golf GTI many moons ago, the new rubber was so thick/firm in comparison to the old perished rubber, it was a nightmare to compress them enough to get it in place.

Anyone swapped them? I'm going to be getting under the car again soon so thought I may as well swap these as they look a bit sorry after 160k.

Cheers,

Ed

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi,

Has anyone swapped these out? It looks like just a few bolts, very simple, just remove the under tray and they're right there staring at you. The replacements come with the brackets and bolts, seems straightforward?
The usual caveat applies - straightforward if the bolts aren't seized.
However, when I changed this on a mk4 Golf GTI many moons ago, the new rubber was so thick/firm in comparison to the old perished rubber, it was a nightmare to compress them enough to get it in place.
But you got them in in the end....
Anyone swapped them? I'm going to be getting under the car again soon so thought I may as well swap these as they look a bit sorry after 160k.

Cheers,

Just try - at worst you have to refit the old ones.

Another jack under the brackets will help to squidgy them up

Really curious if anybody knows if the W212 has the 'two halves' type of ARB bush (easier), or is the the type that you need to slide onto the bar (much more annoying?)

When I went to change the ARB bushes on my W203 (I know, different car an' all), the bolts had seized. I thought they were turning but they weren't. Well, the half with the head was turning but the bit in the chassis wasn't and the inevitable happened and they sheared. I soaked the rest overnight in Plus Gas, penetrating fluid and any other magic potion I could find but to no avail. They all sheared and left me with a trip to the local garage which took two hours to get the remnants out.

The A207 has the bonded type bushes that means a whole new bar. Recently did mine with the drop links. All very straightforward and made quite a difference to the handling. The drop link bolts were starting to go and although the joints were loose compared to the new ones there was no discernible play. Same with the arb bushes although they did look a bit torn at the end under the bush carrier.

Sounds easier but pricey! May I ask how much a whole new bar was for your A207?

I think I saw somebody with a c class of this era but third party bushes and slide them on but getting them around the curves looked a bit nightmarish

Last edited:
The only ‘issue’ with that is that you have to get third party ARB bushes rather than OEM, which is probably fine, of course. I think MB will only offer it as a whole bar but I need to check next time I’m there.

Or cut off the bonded bushes and replace with the polyurethane variety, which should be split and therefore easy to fit. They'll last longer too. Even if they're not split, careful use of a modelling knife could change that.

The bar with the bonded bushes and carriers was 96 plus vat from MB.

FYI I asked at MB today and the bushes are part of the bar. It’s about £175 on a W212 but I can’t remember if that’s plus VAT or not

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom