Replacing Wheel Bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DreamCar

Had gearbox oil changed and they mentioned I have a wheel bolt missing. How do I go about getting a replacement and does it need to be fitted by mechanic etc.?

Had gearbox oil changed and they mentioned I have a wheel bolt missing. How do I go about getting a replacement and does it need to be fitted by mechanic etc.?
To be sure, you could buy one from a main dealer parts counter (assuming you have standard wheels fitted.

Given that you’re asking the question I would suggest taking the bolt to a tyre fitter, and ask that they do it for you.

Ask them to remove and te-torque the bolts correctly and fit the new one at the same time - first checking that the new bolt matches the rest.

It’s not difficult but if you’re not confident, then you’d be better off paying a tyre fitter £10 or £20 to make sure it’s done rights

Hello and welcome . What car is it ? are you sure there is not a spare one in the boot ? When UK MB's were delivered they were fitted with lock wheel bolts at the dealership so most had the 4 non locking bolts left in the box the lock bolts came with in the boot , often buried around where the spare wheel lives (if you have one) or in a side panel in the boot.

Have a look around for a box like this.

1641461752678.png

Hello and welcome . What car is it ? are you sure there is not a spare one in the boot ? When UK MB's were delivered they were fitted with lock wheel bolts at the dealership so most had the 4 non locking bolts left in the box the lock bolts came with in the boot , often buried around where the spare wheel lives (if you have one) or in a side panel in the boot.

Have a look around for a box like this.

View attachment 122474

You need to know where that is anyway as it normally contains the 'key' to undo the anti-theft bolts.

Are you sure its a wheel bolt. I am sure any garage would have had a look for the box previously discussed & fitted one of the bolts in there

If you dont have the bolt, then a trip to dealers, ask the guy at the parts desk (they are about 4 pounds), if you ask nicey nicey enough I am sure they will remove the wheel and re torque (using a special wrench) all the bolts for free.

Did you do recent tyre work, not often wheel bolts go missing.

If you dont have the bolt, then a trip to dealers, ask the guy at the parts desk (they are about 4 pounds), if you ask nicey nicey enough I am sure they will remove the wheel and re torque (using a special wrench) all the bolts for free.

Did you do recent tyre work, not often wheel bolts go missing.
Remember they are not all the same shape seat/shoulder on the bolt heads, some are radius and some taper, as well as differing lengths. Check you get the right one/s

I did have a tyre repaired last week and he mentioned too that one was missing. Will look in the boot in the morning to see if any are there where the spare wheel is. If not will pop to Mercedes to hopefully buy one. It's E270 CDI estate avantgarde.... Standard wheels I think.

Remember they are not all the same shape seat/shoulder on the bolt heads, some are radius and some taper, as well as differing lengths. Check you get the right one/s
Thats why the OP should go to the dealer who will check the part no based on VIN.

I did have a tyre repaired last week and he mentioned too that one was missing. Will look in the boot in the morning to see if any are there where the spare wheel is. If not will pop to Mercedes to hopefully buy one. It's E270 CDI estate avantgarde.... Standard wheels I think.

tbf you know its missing and you are still driving about.
I highly suggest you take a trip to the dealers and get one ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom