Reposition Kickdown Switch ?? Bad / Good idea ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
Good morning good peoples,

Everyday I pull onto the motorway into slow moving traffic and straight onto a steep hill. Lane 1 is always solid from my junction to the next. Every time I try and move from lane 1 to lane 2 its a bit hit and miss whether the gearbox is going to engage kickdown and combined with the supercharger having a mind of its own its always a bit of a mare.

So I was thinking could I reposition the kickdown switch to the steering wheel or the centre console so i could basically build my revs to about 2.5 k, press the button and smoothly change lanes without changing lanes and booting and hoping for the best ???

Thoughts ?? Is it actually dooable ??? Or any other problems ??? This one situation is the only time I ever use the kickdown on my daily commute ?

Cheers

Brett

P.S A big red button on the centre conjsole would be kind of cool !!!

Sounds increably dangerous having a kickdown switch on your steering wheel? really?

Not to mention the legality of that should you crash.

How about downshifting as per above, or a car with a larger engine? :dk:

Last edited:
Or a nitrous kit ?

I dont know if theres something wrong with the box but when i actually pull the lever down to 2 it just makes a whcking great klonk the revs go through the roof but actual extra forward motion is limited for some reason the kickdown is alot more smoother. I think its more dangerous "having" to engage WOT to actually touch the kickdown switch .

You could have a fault somewhere, I don't see how moving the switch would change anything? All Mercedes will only kick down when at a certain rpm/gear, what I mean is that sometimes it will go like a rocket and others will just pull a lot quicker.

+1 for downshift.
I'ts much more controllable and smoother than kickdown. I view the kickdown as an 'emergency' mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom