Reprogramming W208 keys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lockking

Car
W208 CLK320 Cab/Jaguar 3.0 S Type/W208 CLK 430 Cab
Hi all, does anybody know if anyone's goy round the problem of reprogramming used 3 button electronic keys to their own car. If not will the innards of the old style fit into the later chrome style?
Thanks for any info.

Willie

Sorry but the answer is NO to the first question and NO to the second.
The keys cannot be reprogrammed so if you need a new one you will have to order it through a dealer.
The innards are different sizes and the buttons do no line up so you cannot transfer an old PCB into a new body or vice versa.

Hi all, does anybody know if anyone's goy round the problem of reprogramming used 3 button electronic keys to their own car. If not will the innards of the old style fit into the later chrome style?
Thanks for any info.

Willie

As Nibbo says, the bits inside the old and new style keys are NOT interchangeable...............however all is not totally lost...............
Read through this thread and you will see it can just about be done.......providing you can find an microelectronics expert with the right equipment.
Its definitely not a DIY job............

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/74217-key-transplant-possible.html

Also............here is the link to the other forum where its explained how its done............(as I said, its NOT DIYable)...........

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/116081-new-key-style-my-c-class-30.html

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for coming back guys and thanks for the info Dave. I'll let you know how I get on

Cheers

Willie

key fob chip swop

Hi Dave and thanks for the info. Had the chips changed in the keys and the second hand chrome key I brought works perfect.

Cheers

Willie:D

Hi Dave and thanks for the info. Had the chips changed in the keys and the second hand chrome key I brought works perfect.

Cheers

Willie:D

Who did you get to do this? I'd be keen to have this done too. I've got a chrome key on the US frequency that works (but not on the UK frequency). I'd love to get a chrome key working properly but not at the current dealer price :D (PM if you don't want to publically name them)...

Last edited:
Can the information on who did this chip transplant be made public?

Because whoever did it has a ready made market for his (or her) skills. Just on this forum alone.

I/we await your reply with baited breath......................

And one further question..........what have you done about getting a new shape key blade?

Last edited:
Seconded, i want this done and think someone to change chips is easy enough to find but how do you get a key blade cut for the new key that works???

Seconded, i want this done and think someone to change chips is easy enough to find but how do you get a key blade cut for the new key that works???

The key blade carries a separate part number, so I assume that you should still be able to order that from a dealer (most likely pre-cut to your vehicle).

When I sourced my Chrome key from the US, we ordered two part numbers, one was the key itself and the other was the new blade. It came programmed and pre-cut.

Hi all, he can change the chips as he has the special equipment which takes about an hour or so (hot air system he calls it) but he won't gaureentee it to work as he's not actully doing any brainwork on it if you know what I mean. I've known the man for nearly 20 years when he was an auto electrician etc but now he specilises in sorting computers and the like. He knows what he's doing. I explained to him that I'd read it on a forum that Dave mentioned and got him to try it. Don't know if US freqency would cause it not to work as only one chip is changed which must have all the info for the car. I don't know I'm only guessing. I got my key off Ebay but it could have come from anywere. Not thought much about the blade but I would think getting another cut shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as you've got the old one vehicle docs etc. Am I allowed to put down contact numbers, email for the guy?

Cheers Willie

The last picture in the MBWorld thread shows no sign of a hot air station....

Scary as it implies the modder used a solder sucker and wick :eek:

Hi all, he can change the chips as he has the special equipment which takes about an hour or so (hot air system he calls it) but he won't gaureentee it to work as he's not actully doing any brainwork on it if you know what I mean. I've known the man for nearly 20 years when he was an auto electrician etc but now he specilises in sorting computers and the like. He knows what he's doing. I explained to him that I'd read it on a forum that Dave mentioned and got him to try it. Don't know if US freqency would cause it not to work as only one chip is changed which must have all the info for the car. I don't know I'm only guessing. I got my key off Ebay but it could have come from anywere. Not thought much about the blade but I would think getting another cut shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as you've got the old one vehicle docs etc. Am I allowed to put down contact numbers, email for the guy?

Cheers Willie

Depends on what the forum admin says and whether the guy minds.

Given that both give the thumbs up, I dont see why not.

As you have only 14 posts, forum members cant PM you for his contact details, so if admin do object for any reason, then you would have to post your email address so forum members can contact you direct.

Depends on what the forum admin says and whether the guy minds.

Given that both give the thumbs up, I dont see why not.

As you have only 14 posts, forum members cant PM you for his contact details, so if admin do object for any reason, then you would have to post your email address so forum members can contact you direct.

The mans quite happy for his details to be on the Forum.

He didn't do mine.

Hi Willie, I thought that you had this done already. Or were you responding to the other post about the difference in the US / European frequencies possibly needing another part to be changed?

If you have a US key you will know straight away as they have a large Red circular Panic button.

Hi Willie, I thought that you had this done already. Or were you responding to the other post about the difference in the US / European frequencies possibly needing another part to be changed?

If you have a US key you will know straight away as they have a large Red circular Panic button.

Sorry AvantGarde, I'm confusing everybody. I was responding to Baron Samedi who noticed that in the photos there was a soldering iron and not a hot air station.
Anyway mine has been done and as I said works fine. It's not got the panic button so must be UK key.

Lockking,

I certainly don't question the need for a hot air station for the task.

I reckon it would be the best way to loosen the paste used to secure the IC to the PEC when flow soldered.

I was remarking that only a seriously good or bold person would attempt the IC removal job with a soldering iron and solder sucker...

Lockking,

I certainly don't question the need for a hot air station for the task.

I reckon it would be the best way to loosen the paste used to secure the IC to the PEC when flow soldered.

I was remarking that only a seriously good or bold person would attempt the IC removal job with a soldering iron and solder sucker...

Sorry Baron Samedi, my response to you was not ment to sound that way. I left the first couple of words out which should have been 'I'm glad'! Apologies if it sounded rude. Was not intended at all.

Lockking:doh:

No offence taken at all.

Read some of my posts and you can see I fall into the same trap some times :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom