Reproofed convertible hood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyinspanner

MB Enthusiast
Car
A209 320CLK (CL500 & W168 sold)
Hi

Just cleaned and reproofed the hood on the A209.

On purchase there was some minor green algae visible in some of the “channels” and seams, so I initially gave it a gentle wash with warm water and a mild wool detergent and a soft bristle scrub brush. Rinsed with a Milton solution to kill any growth.

Left it a couple of days till I got a good weather window.

Cleaned again with Renovo hood cleaner, using soft bristle scrub brush again.
Rinsed and sucked the water out with our new VAX using the upholstery head.

Used the Renovo colour restorer (Black) 500ml is plenty for one coat.

Left it to dry 3 hrs

Renovo Ultraproofer applied with 2” brush, worked well in to all seams and channels.

I found it useful to clingfilm the windows and flanks to avoid drips -mist the glass/body and clingfilm sticks well and unpeels easy.

Nice uniform finish, almost hoping for a shower to see it beading ;)

....:( ...photos won’t attach

Good tip on the cling film! I used the MB stuff last time I did the roof on my car and it is due again.

I was going to order some Fabsil this time as the Mb stuff is expensive and It did not bead for long at all.

Be good if you can upload a few photos and I would be interested to see how the Renovo product performs over a few months.

Fabsil is fab!

There seem to be 2 versions of Fabsil one of which is Fabsil gold. Any recommendations? I have not done any research on the difference yet.

I suppose it's Teflon based ?
Watched an excellent film last night, based on a true story about the carcinogenic effects of manufacturing Teflon.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Fabsil is purely a waterproofer, not a cleaner or colourant. Both Renovo and Autoglym do good kit for cleaning and re-colouring a fabric hood - I used Renovo on my 968 cab (all 3 products), read and follow the instructions and mask up well when colouring as that stuff is thinner than water and gets everywhere, easy to remove when wet but a PITA when dry. Also do not fold the roof for at least 24 hours after colouring (guess who made a few mistakes!!). I also topped up the proofing a couple of times with Fabsil as I happened to have 1/2 a spray can left over from camping days, it was OK.

I've also used Renovo colour and sealant on my porsche before I sold it found it excellent 👌

Best waterproofer I have found for fabric/canvas hoods is gtechniq l1 V2. Been using on our boat canvas for years.

There seem to be 2 versions of Fabsil one of which is Fabsil gold. Any recommendations? I have not done any research on the difference yet.
Fabsil universal and Fabsil gold should produce similar results although there are slight differences in the two. Fabsil Universal has a lower concentration of active ingredient and contains UV inhibitor, Fabsil Gold contains 5x higher concentration of active ingredient but no UV inhibitor.

Fabsil universal and Fabsil gold should produce similar results although there are slight differences in the two. Fabsil Universal has a lower concentration of active ingredient and contains UV inhibitor, Fabsil Gold contains 5x higher concentration of active ingredient but no UV inhibitor.
I presume then that Universal is better for ensuring the roof does not fade in the sun (eventually)? I've used gold previously and I find it works brilliantly for beading.

I used a product called 'Dodo Juice Supernatural Fabric Hood Sealant' on my car and it seems to work really well, water beads easily off the surface.

How often do you think it needs cleaning & reproofinf?

Thanks, didn’t want to overdo it as mine still has original hood. 27 years and still good, just the usual ‘grazes’ where it folds.

Did our CLK over the last 2 weekends with Renovo products.
First weekend was the cleaning
51012358452_6aa1acacfa_k.jpg

Left it in the garage to dry until last Saturday, cling filmed up the windows as recommended by the OP

51031097288_d91a0bbe36_k.jpg

On Sunday did the final proofing.

51044839138_327c3b2c2f_k.jpg

Many thank, final finish looks great. Have used the Autoglym cleaner & proofed on my wife’s (now sold) Beetle convertible & it never gave such good results.

Did our CLK over the last 2 weekends with Renovo products.
First weekend was the cleaning
View attachment 110576

Left it in the garage to dry until last Saturday, cling filmed up the windows as recommended by the OP

View attachment 110577

On Sunday did the final proofing.

View attachment 110578
I did mine with Renovo too as it was on offer and got similarly good results though I still think gtechniq is a better proofer as water just beads and runs off the canvas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom