Reputable Bodyshops in Northants/surrounding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ash59fifty-uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C204 C63, VW Transporter
Hey peeps

After a decent bodyshop to get my bonnet sprayed, providing they do a good job I'd have them do my front bumper too

SO picky with things like this, I've trawled through Google and have found some that look okay, but they either have mixed reviews or reviews that are few years old

Thought I may as well ask on here as I'm sure everyone would be the same with their bodywork and only go with the best business, anybody got any good places they'd highly recommend?

Northants area or surrounding, my office is in Leicestershire (Lutterworth) but certainly don't mind travelling. Travel around a lot with work so also don't mind bringing the bonnet with me in the workvan to drop off, as long as it's not missions away. Cambridgeshire, Bucks, Beds, Hertfordshire and Leicestershire being the closest to me, as far as Nottinghamshire is okay too

:bannana:

TBH Ash it'd surely be much more cost effective and a better job to have bonnet & bumper done at the same time?

Ant.

Happytalk73 said:
TBH Ash it'd surely be much more cost effective and a better job to have bonnet & bumper done at the same time? Ant.

I've never had such work done this will be a first for me, haven't acquired the bumper yet but wanted the bonnet on as my local Indy will be fitting it including the new headlights and DRL's. Does make more sense to have both sprayed at the same time though you're right, but they'd be sprayed off the car if that makes sense? Both bodyparts will be replacing what I already have on the car, new headlights would need coding and the DRL's wiring in so I would be getting the Indy to do the fitting and wiring, don't know if a bodyshop has coding facilities or if I should have them fit everything (including headlights and DRL's) and then book with the Indy to code and wire?

Do I need additional work like the front wings sprayed over so it matches? I don't know how all this works :eek:

Last edited:
I'm not sure Ash. I think it'd make sense to spray wings if it's metallic paint. :dk:

And even though both bonnet & bumperwill be off the car it'll still be cheaper for you to have all work done in one hit rather than individually.

Ant. :D

I can vouch for D&M classic car restoration (they have painted my Allard, w114 and BMW M535i) in Weston on the Green OX25, which is not too far.

A good bodyshop will advise on the details but doing bits individually is normally a recipe for paint mismatches. Most will need to blend in the paint of other areas adjacent.

Last edited:
Elite Car bodyshop in MK are ace, used them for quite a few things and always do a great job.

This is one of the places I had shortlisted, and the only one with a professional looking website! :thumb: Nice one

I can vouch for D&M classic car restoration (they have painted my Allard, w114 and BMW M535i) in Weston on the Green OX25, which is not far. A good bodyshop will advise on the details but doing bits individually is normally a recipe for paint mismatches. Most will need to blend in the paint of other areas adjacent.

So it would be best to have them spray and fit both parts and match the surrounding paintwork :thumb:

My only dilemma is the headlights will only fit on with the new bonnet, which would mean driving home without headlights or error messages... I've test fitted the lights and they work perfectly, but they give error messages saying bulbs are out etc. Would the error messages cut the lights out on the way home, or would the lights stay on and I'd just have to ignore the messages on the dash? Not sure how these systems work

If by some chance the lights don't work when fitted, just drive back in daylight and get your indy to code them. I wouldn't drive without headlights fitted.

This is one of the places I had shortlisted, and the only one with a professional looking website! :thumb: Nice one

I was recommended them by Autoclass in MK who are a merc indy and they use them for all their body repairs. Maybe drop your car into Autoclass for the coding etc and get all the work done as a job lot?

If by some chance the lights don't work when fitted, just drive back in daylight and get your indy to code them. I wouldn't drive without headlights fitted.

I think that's the best bet. I'll have them spray both parts and fit the headlights, Indy can then fit the DRL's to the bumper and code everything in

I was recommended them by Autoclass in MK who are a merc indy and they use them for all their body repairs. Maybe drop your car into Autoclass for the coding etc and get all the work done as a job lot?

That's a sound idea, I'll throw them an email :) Didn't know there was an Indy over there

I've used Rugby Car Care in Rugby for body work on my wife's XR2, and on Jags and BMW.

Always been very pleased with results.

If you want MB approved, you cojld try Whyndon Motors in Coventry. They did a very good job on my SL

Agreed, you need headlights to flash and a horn to blare at the idiot taxi drivers in MK :D

:crazy: They are nutters over there, mainly the reason why I tend to be the designated driver on nights out in MK

Gave Autoclass an e-mail about having it all done in one shot, thanks for the info :thumb:

Griffs in Counthesthorpe is a traditional body shop near you.

Found them after seeing pictures of their work on a member's car on the other MB forum. Nick does a proper job and his work is priced accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom