reputable mobile phone monthy contract cashback deals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
I'm looking for a new mobile phone with monthly contract. I'm a lowish use user, so value for money is important.

So far I've seen quite a few online places offer 6-18 months free or heavily discounted on a 24 month contract. Mobiles.co.uk are one example.

But are these places reputable? The Web gives a mixed review. As I understand it, if they stop trading I am still liable for the monthly contract, for example £15/month with Orange. It would be no great loss if that happened, but if that's a genuine risk I'd rather just go to my local Orange store in town.

Any pearls of wisdom to share?

Thanks.

You can get a monthly contract but you`ll get a sim only,i had that on o2 and was very pleased

Whilst I don't use my phone much it still costs £10-20/month. So maybe I use it more than I realise, or just the rate per minute is not so competetive on PAYG. With a monthly deal, like £15/month I'll get free minutes and texts, so would use the phone more and get better value from it. Plus I'd get a new phone too.

contact carphone warehouse they have cashback deals i an on o2 600 mins per month sim only with net bolt on for £5 a month after cash back be ware of using their subsideries onephonestopshop they are hard to get the cashback from, if any problems u can take carphonewarehouse is small claims court for yr money but never needed to do that

I used dialaphone a while back. Cashback by redemption; you send back 6 months of mobile statements and your account is credited. I had no trouble with this, they received the statements and my bank account got credited. I know of others who had trouble redeeming their credit, but who knows whether it was lost in the post? The phone companies rely on customer apathy to avoid paying-out on these offers.

There are other companies whose policy is to regularly 'lose' the redemption statements, and for that reason I've just stuck with a fixed-rate monthly contract. I've been with 3 for the last 5 years, and I can't find better monthly rates for the price. The reception is good, and customer services are competent on the whole.

dial a phone are good ive used them a few times...ive see contract phones on there for as little as £9.00 a month with reasonable minutes and texts. good customer service too!

Tesco mobile are worth a look. They have a good range of phones on very good tarrifs . The one I have costs me £10 a month but because I pay by direct debit I get £40 worth of credit.

I've used several of these cash back deals over the years for wife's & kids phones.
Had one firm go bust part way through so didn't get all the cash back.
Had success though with carphonewarehouse & their subsidiaries, also had a couple of deals with phones4u.
I've only ever risked a low monthly rental deal - usually £15 a month deals on 3, so the risk is small.
You need to be very methodical with the paperwork - if you don't follow their rules to the letter you don't get the cash back on a particular claim and that in turn invalidates all subsequent claims.
Good idea to send cash back claims by recorded "insured" post - if it fails to be delivered, you can claim your "loss" on the insurance. For example if it is a £15 x 12 month cash back and your first claim fails to arrive, this invalidates all other claims so your loss is £180, not the first claim which may only be £15.

Did a little bit of research just recently as was considering a new phone. Seems to me the cheapest approach is to buy the phone you want (unlocked) at the cheapest price you can find, almost certainly online.
Then go for a SIM only deal either on a month by month or yearly basis.
For the phones I was interested in this was cheaper than entering into an 18mnth or 2 year contract.

If you go far a month by month SIM deal you have great flexibility to go for new deals as they come along.

Research not exhaustive so might only apply to some phones, but certainly worth checking out.

Cashback deals are fine but use one of the larger well known retailers like CPW, E2save, phones4u etc. Go through Quidco as most retailers are on there for extra cashback. Never had a cashback claim turned down to date. Make sure you follow the cashback claim instructions properly and send your bills on in time. If they have to be posted then make sure you use recorded or special delivery.

Good sites to find deals:
Mobile Phones - Latest Mobile Phone Deals and Mobile Phones UK - Phones Limited
http://cashbackmobilephonedeals.co.uk/

O2 and Vodafone often have good quidco cashback rates on sim only deals. Last o2 12 month sim only deal I got I received £150 cashback on quidco.

Vodafone currently have £100 (on £20/month) and £120 (on £25/month) cashback on sim only deals. The 02 offer comes around every couple of months, not on at the moment.

http://www.quidco.com/vodafone/?hoofuh#1615

Last edited:
I too would look at using a cashback site such as Quidco or Greasy Palm. Not only could you get money back from the mobile company but money from the cashback site too!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom