Requesting advice from our Scottish members :-

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does the steam train still take that route?
I remember seeing it many years ago puffing over the viaduct - a magnificent sight!

Edit: A quick google search confirms it still does!!

The Harry Potter connection makes it very very popular.They added weekend services a couple of years back. It's professionally operated. They keep two steam locomotives over the season at Fort William so they have backup.

It also makes the restaurants and cafes in Mallaig quite busy between 1230 and 1400 when it's operating.

It's normally chimney first to Mallaig and tender first on the return - there's no turntable at Mallaig. They very occasionally run it the other way around.

Don't forget Springbank!!

I would aim for Kennacraig, visit Islay and Jura (don't do them in one day, take 2 - 3 days). When you get back to Kennacraig, travel 30 miles south to Campbeltown. Here you will find the Springbank distillery, a joy to behold and taste. There is also Glen Scotia and Kilkerran, if they are open to visitors. Springbank will certainly be open. Here you will see the whole process from start to finish on one site, and get the chance to taste one of the finest whiskies ever produced. I recommend the Ardsheil Hotel for an overnight stay. There are about 400 whiskies available in the hotel bar.

This trip will knock Speyside into a cocked hat!

Ahh, Islay....

Did a tour of the highlands`n`islands a couple of years back on a motorcycle, what a place!
Why go abroad when you`ve got that?
Very memorable.
The further north you go the better it gets, no congestion, absolutely stunning sights around every bend - so many `S**T, look at that view` moments. I was literally stopping every few minutes to get the camera out the first day...

A few pics to whet your appetite..;

P9250418.jpg

P9250413.jpg

P9250430.jpg

P9250433.jpg

P9250439.jpg

Home from the trip.

Thanks for your ideas, Just thought I'd let you know :-

My trip was slightly delayed, but was well worth doing.

I left home for Scotland on Tuesday morning and arrived home Friday night.
Total driving time 33hrs 20 mins, 1696 miles averaging 51mph and 30.1mpg - according to my dashboard.

Day 1 -I stopped for the first night at Dumfries and did not see any mountains ( nor sheep), but saw many of each over the next 3 days.
Roads taken - A21, M25, M40, M42, M6, and A75.
Stats. for the day - 416 miles, average 66 mph and 31.2 mpg

Day 2 - Was a gentle drive up to Fort William, where I booked into an hotel for two nights.
Roads taken A76, A77, M77, A726, M8, M898, A898, A82, A813, A819, A815, A828 and back on to the A82.
Stats. for the day - 213 miles, average 38 mph and 30.9 mpg

Day three was a drive up to the Talisker distillery (A bottle of 57 North had to be purchased) using the A82, A887, A87, A863 and B8009 . The return drive took a little detour via the A890, A896 and a trip up to the top of the Applecross Pass (I turned round at the top) then returned to Fort William for the evening).
Stats. for the day - 286 miles, average 39 mph and 30.1 mpg

Day 4 was straight up the A82 to Inverness and back down to Dunblane via the Cardhu distillery utilising roads such as the A95, A93 and the A939 ( that is a great road) then joining the A9.
Just north of Dunblane I stopped for a late lunch, then turned on the Sat. Nav. and set it for home, finally arriving home at midnight.
Stats. for the day - 778 miles, average 57 mph and 29.3 mpg

Recently I had been considering changing my car, but it was perfect for this trip - just enough power to enjoy the roads, perfectly poised and she did not miss a beat all week.

Thanks to Steves' posts about his days out and your suggestions, I had a great trip, enjoying some great driving and great whiskies.

Day 2 - Was a gentle drive up to Fort William, where I booked into an hotel for two nights.
Roads taken A76, A77, M77, A726, M8, M898, A898, A82, A813, A819, A815, A828 and back on to the A82.
Stats. for the day - 213 miles, average 38 mph and 30.9 mpg

Day three was a drive up to the Talisker distillery (A bottle of 57 North had to be purchased) using the A82, A887, A87, A863 and B8009 . The return drive took a little detour via the A890, A896 and a trip up to the top of the Applecross Pass (I turned round at the top) then returned to Fort William for the evening).

Stats. for the day - 286 miles, average 39 mph and 30.1 mpg

Good driving....

Makes me want to get out there and do last weeks drive all over again.

Oh wait I can't. Still not got "the shed" back yet.

As a small point of order, the Glengoyne distillery is surely just about perfectly due north of Glasgow?

An even smaller point of order. It's not 'perfectly due north' but north west.

The extended conurbation around Glasgow means that it is north of the western edge of that larger area (the city itself is rather smaller). So depending on how you look at a map it's open to interpretation.

Just a few pictures

Just uploaded a few photos here : -

Scotland 2011 - a set on Flickr

Steve - I was lucky - I believe the Connel bridge was closed the day after I drove over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom