Reservations about picking up new c220 diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

latent

Car
C 220 Coupe AMG sport
Im picking up a New c220 cdi coupe this week. Im pleased with the deal and love he look of the car, but having last minute reservations reading negative posts about noisy or unrefined diesels. :(

Im picking up a New c220 cdi coupe this week. Im pleased with the deal and love he look of the car, but having last minute reservations reading negative posts about noisy or unrefined diesels. :(

Surely you test drove the model you have bought?

Yes I can't believe how quickly the so called 'refinement' of the new 4 cyl Merc diesels seemed to start getting bad press in road tests, when 4 years ago, they were praised very highly. It can only be because the competition has caught up fast.

I've had several versions of the 4 cyl's and now 2 6 cyl's. Over the last week, I've swapped regularly between 220, 250, and 350's as I've tested and borrowed several cars with a view to changing etc.

The worst offender is supposed to be the 250, and sure it is 'noisier' than the 220, but only when pushed hard, and I quite like the 'grumble' it makes, it's certainly not a clatter. In fact the 250 I was lent over the last 2 days, whilst the S350 was in for a seat problem, was a most enjoyable drive, and its blend of performance and economy is just amazing. I cam close to buying a new CLS 250, and despite now having 2 V6's with their silky smoothness, I'd always be happy to have another 4 pot.

The 220 is more subtle than the 250, and you won't hear it at all when cruising, only when pressing the pedal hard, or if you have a window down at a toll booth. In some way the new stop/start systems have helped to emphasise the diesel noise, as you can of course notice the difference when you wait at a junction in complete silence.

At the end of the day, it's still a diesel, not petrol, but the power to economy ratio is brill, and I'm sure you will be very happy with the 220 Coupe.

Personally I have some concerns about Merc losing the plot a bit with increased road/tyre noise in their latest models (the Coupe is not at all bad in this regard though), and like a few others have commented, the electric power steering trend is hurting the way the facelifted W212 drives over the previous hydraulic system.

A common response in such situations, but not always helpful!

Like many these days, as well as test driving a car when choosing, I also read loads of test reports and visit YouTube etc. It's easy to end up with your head in a spin.

Short test drives are almost useless at getting a real feel for a car, especially is accompanied by a salesperson. I remember buying a new Z4 in 2007, and during a test drive thinking "what's all this fuss about a hard ride Mr Clarkson, it seems fine to me". I had to sell the car 5 months later, as I just couldn't take the pain any longer.

Relationships with cars can be like those with people. Fist impressions don't always have legs.

A common response in such situations, but not always helpful!

Like many these days, as well as test driving a car when choosing, I also read loads of test reports and visit YouTube etc. It's easy to end up with your head in a spin.

It was not designed to be helpful nor to be unhelpful. My question was perfectly relevant to the original post. The OP has ordered a new car that is being delivered soon and is now worried about the noise of the engine!:wallbash:

Last edited:

I've got a fairly new C250cdi, which is supposed to be nosier that the 220cdi.

Its a little less smooth than my slk350, but compares well with my old C320cdi.

All in all, I don't think you'll have a problem, unless you are expecting V8 smoothness.

Personally, I have no issue with refinement or its lack on 204s.
It is the dashboard rattling that does my head in.

My car went in for three days last month with no apparent faults found, yet it still rattles.

According to MB I am one of very, very few who actually experience this problem.
According to the net, there are pages upon pages highlighting this very issue.

If you were happy with the car when you ordered it and now your only concerns are because of reviews you've read, I'd put those to one side and enjoy the new car.

You are only driving one car - not comparing them now.

I've got the same engine in my car and, yes, it sounds like a Diesel engine from outside

As others have said. Drive it and enjoy it. It's not a bad car - it's one many would aspire to own

According to MB I am one of very, very few who actually experience this problem.

This is not a problem confined solely to Merc dealers - One day all dealers will be straight on all issues - but not in my lifetime!!

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I did test drive a few weeks back, guess the longer it is between point of purchase and picking the car up, it gives you too much time to google gaze, instead of just looking forward to it.

The last diesel i owned, some 8 years ago was an E320cdi, which I think was fairly poplar

all 4 cyl diesels sound like concrete mixers - there is little point worrying about it. My F30 has imho the best 2.0 diesel in it, and it is still a diesel whichever way you look at it. If i want the noise i listen to the CL or the SL. Not the 320d.

Fairly sure have read various magazine reviews that the C220CDI is actually more refine than the C250, no idea why as both engine basically the same! :confused:

I had my C250 for 2 years, perfectly happy, no rattle whatsoever, slightly gruff sounding when revs hard, but otherwise pretty refine I'd say.

Will know more when I get my E220CDI tomorrow :bannana:

I have the same car as you are just about to pick up, I have had a lot of different diesels the last 2 being a jag and a land rover, the merc is easily the most refined and quietest I have had. just enjoy your car, I sometimes turn the radio off and just listen.

I have to admit to not being a diseasel fan. I've only ever owned one, and that was an elderly Citroen ZX which was agricultural to put it mildly.

When my SLK was in for service the other week, the dealer lent me a (nearly new) C220 CDI estate for the day. I couldn't exactly get excited about it, but it was a nice enough place to sit, it certainly wasn't slow, and obviously it was a novelty seeing 40 MPG on the trip computer. All in all, very competent.

It wasn't noisy, either. There was a droney sort of sound, coming from the front end of the car, which seemed to go up and down in tone roughly in sync. with the rev counter needle, but that's about all I could say about it. Neither inspiring nor particularly offensive.

It depends on what you want. I suspect most people would be quite happy, put radio 4 on at a moderate volume and trundle from A to B, job done.

If you're after aural excitement, though, I'm afraid you've chosen poorly. Get a big V8 convertible, drop the top, switch off the stereo and give it some beans. That's what I've been doing today and I'm still :D.

Cheers,

Gaz

I have to admit to not being a diseasel fan. I've only ever owned one, and that was an elderly Citroen ZX which was agricultural to put it mildly.

When my SLK was in for service the other week, the dealer lent me a (nearly new) C220 CDI estate for the day. I couldn't exactly get excited about it, but it was a nice enough place to sit, it certainly wasn't slow, and obviously it was a novelty seeing 40 MPG on the trip computer. All in all, very competent.

It wasn't noisy, either. There was a droney sort of sound, coming from the front end of the car, which seemed to go up and down in tone roughly in sync. with the rev counter needle, but that's about all I could say about it. Neither inspiring nor particularly offensive.

It depends on what you want. I suspect most people would be quite happy, put radio 4 on at a moderate volume and trundle from A to B, job done.

If you're after aural excitement, though, I'm afraid you've chosen poorly. Get a big V8 convertible, drop the top, switch off the stereo and give it some beans. That's what I've been doing today and I'm still :D.

Cheers,

Gaz

Err no its not what Im after....but equally i don't want to listen to Radio 4 :)

Hey, radio 4 is actually very informative and they have none of that noisy music ;)

Hey, radio 4 is actually very informative and they have none of that noisy music ;)

Very true. I've got 50GB+ of assorted music in my car, but R4 get the majority of time:)

Meanwhile over on Radio 2 ...... Sally Traffic

Personally, I have no issue with refinement or its lack on 204s.

My car went in for three days last month with no apparent faults found, yet it still rattles.

Apologies for going off topic, just wanted to ask you more about the rattling you are experiencing in your merc? is it the e class coupe?

We have had a rattle in our e coupe for ages, and it sounds as if it is coming from right behind the sat nav screen, it feels like if you remove the surround around the screen it would be able to be sorted..

There's no pattern to when it appears, doesn't correlate with rough roads provoking it or anything, it just appears when it wants to appear, and you can bet your bottom dollar that when the dealer would go to test it it wouldnt appear..:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom