Reset ABS/ESP lights after sensor change - w204

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by sceh, Jul 22, 2017.

1. sceh

sceh Active Member

Car:
    w123 240TD
    I had these lights and the run flat one come on. I found one of the sensors at the rear had an open circuit so I changed it. How do I now clear the lights on the dash (apart from sticky tape :)) ? I did this same change on a Toyota dn it cleared automatically when it found the new sensor. Either Mercedes don't do this or there is another fault I suppose?

thanks

2. OP
    OP
    sceh

sceh Active Member

Car:
    w123 240TD
    I checked the resistance of the old sensor and it is definitely infinite so it is open circuit. I checked the new one and it is odd - it briefly indicates 1800 or so and then goes open. I am assuming this is something to do with the internal circuit of the sensor? Normally you should check these by turning the wheel but since it is the rear it is a bit of a problem.
    any tips?

3. OP
    OP
    sceh

sceh Active Member

Car:
    w123 240TD
  4. OP
    OP
    sceh

sceh Active Member

Car:
    w123 240TD
    I finally found it was a front sensor and the one I bought was duff. I exchanged it for a Bosch sensor and, contrary to what MB told me, as soon as the sensor was detected, all the warning lights disappeared. Most cars work this way btw